Italian Bread                                contributed by Peter
Carcieri      Ingredients
2 packages quick-rise yeast
5 cups flour (King Arthur)
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups warm water (110 degrees)
PreparationCombine first five ingredients, yeast last and let dissolve
for 2 minutes. Mix in 2 cups of flour with a whisk until creamy. Mix in
2 more cups of flour and stir for 2 minutes with wooden spoon. Stir in
enough additional flour to cause the dough to pull away from the sides
of the bowl.
Turn out on floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (about
8-10 minutes). Put in greased bowl (olive oil for a less crusty bread),
turn to coat and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled (1.5
hours). Punch dough down. Divide into two and shape as loaves and allow
them to rise a second time (approx. 45 minutes). Slide loaves onto a
baking stone in a preheated 400 degree oven and bake for 20-25 minutes
or until hollow when tapped on top. I usually put a water soaked sneaker
shoelace across the top of the loaf, this will cause it to split.

I'm in my own little world, but thats ok everybody knows me here
Angelique