American Cheese
Published July 1, 2006. From Cook's Illustrated.

We found a distinct difference between gooey goodness and just plain
slimy.

products tested (listed alphabetically)
Borden American Cheese
Kraft Deli Deluxe White Slices
Kraft Singles
Land O' Lakes American White
Land O' Lakes American Yellow
Sara Lee American Slices
See Product Comparison Chart

We admit it. Many of us in the test kitchen top our burgers
with-gasp-American cheese. Defined as a "process" cheese product with a
minimum requirement of 51 percent actual cheese (the rest is mostly
emulsifiers and stabilizers), American cheese can range dramatically in
color, flavor, and texture. Coming to terms with our guilty pleasure, we
decided to taste four widely available brands (in the guise of grilled
cheese sandwiches) to find out which one we liked best, including both
yellow and white varieties where available.

Three brands had candidates that rated well for cheesy flavor. Not
coincidentally, cheese culture (live bacteria added to milk to spur the
formation of cheese curds) was higher on their ingredient lists than on
those for the two contestants that didn't taste anything like cheese.
And while across the board the textures were slightly rubbery, we found
that there was a distinct difference between gooey goodness (the first
group) and just plain slimy (the second group). As for color, it came
down to a matter of personal preference.

See the Results
Winner
 Sara Lee American Slices
In a grilled cheese sandwich, Sara Lee not only has cheesy flavor but
also avoids the slimy texture other candidates have.
Product Tested Price*
Recommended
  Sara Lee American Slices
This cheese received high ratings for its cheesy flavor, but tasters
agreed its texture was slightly rubbery.

Recommended
  Land O' Lakes American Yellow
This cheese's slightly rubbery texture was redeemed by its prominent
cheesy flavor.
 $6.29 for 1 pound
Recommended
  Land O' Lakes American White
Testers enjoyed the cheesy flavor, but not the slightly rubbery texture.
 $6.29 for 1 pound
Recommended
  Kraft Deli Deluxe White Slices
According to testers, the cheesy flavor outweighed the slightly rubbery
texture.
 $5.29 for 16 ounces
Not Recommended
  Borden American Cheese
Testers agreed the "slimy" product didn't taste anything like cheese.
 $3.99 for 12 ounces
Not Recommended
  Kraft Singles
Testers found these slices "slimy," and agreed it didn't taste anything
like cheese.
 $3.29 for 12 ounces
*Prices subject to change.