Beef Barbacoa De Cabeza

 "now, I don't know about all this work, at my home, my mom use to put the head
in the oven for about 4 hours, or until the meat fell off the cheeks)

but if you wish to go through all these steps, good luck;seems alot of work

also in my home, mom use to cook the tongue, also known as "lengua" and that is
yummy with salsa in tacos"

:more soulful recepies"

Barbecued beef head - A tradition along the Rio Grande, and in

many Texas towns.  Camping out, try this Mexican version of a

Hawaiian Luau.

In San Antonio menudo is a favorite on Sunday.

Another favorite traditionally eaten on Sunday

mornings is barbacoa.  Many places sell barbacoa because the

recipe takes a lot of preparation as well as cooking time.

1 cabeza  (beef  head)

4 onions, quartered

3 heads garlic, separated

2 bunches cilantro, separated

corn or flour tortillas

2 heads of cabbage (for wrapping)

salt to taste

Getting started:

Clean the cabeza (beef head), removing eyes, ears, etc.  Remove

and save the tongue for other recipes. To leave the tongue gives

the barbacoa an odd taste.  In Mexico the head would be wrapped

in large banana leaves.  Here in the United States some use a

paper sack.  I've used cabbage leaves and find the flavor to

be enhanced.

Wrap the beefhead, onions, garlic, and cilantro.  Once wrapped in

cabbage, wrap everything in a burlap bag. (at least 3 layers)

1.  Dig a hole about 3 feet wide and at least 2 feet deep.  Line

the bottom of the hole with porous rocks. (a little larger than a

softball)  I use porous rounded river-rock.

2.  In it, build a fire. (this will take quite a bit of firewood)

3.  Allow to burn until the fire goes out and all that is

remaining are coals. the hole should be about 1/3 full of coals.

>From here you will have to work quickly.

4.  On top of the coals, line the hole with at least 1 layer of

large rocks (a little larger than a softball)

5.  Cover the rocks with a 1½ to 2-inch layer of dirt.  Cover the

dirt with 1 layer of moistened burlap sacks.

6.   Place the cabeza (beefhead) in the center, cover with 2 more

layers of burlap sacks follow this with more dirt.  Cover the

hole completely and mound the dirt up about 6 inches.

7.  Build another fire on the dirt mound, maintaining coals for

about 4 to 5 hours. Remove the cabeza:

1.  Dig up the cabeza ( beefhead)

2.  Discard the burlap and cabbage leaves, reserving the

drippings.

3.  Remove and shred the meat from the cabeza. This is best done

with your hands.  Meat should be quite moist, add drippings as

required.

Serve with tortillas and avocado. Allow each individual to salt

to taste.

Oven Barbacoa

So you can't build a fire in the back yard, but would like

barbacoa anyway.  Here is a method that works extremely well.

Many Americans (including Hispanics) are turned off on the idea

of eating beefhead.  Instead of using cabeza (beefhead)

substitute with eye of round or brisket or any beef roast.

1.  Using ingredients above,  place all ingredients in a large

baking bag.  The type used for roasting a large turkey.

2.  Place on baking dish in the bottom rack of oven set at 200o

for 5 hours.  Also place a heatproof container with water in

the oven. (Idea is to bake for a long period of time without

drying out the meat.)

3.  Reserve drippings, shred the meat from the cabeza ( or

roast). This is best done with your hands.  Meat should be

quite moist, add reserved drippings as needed.

Serve with tortillas and avocado. Allow each individual to salt

to taste.

'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God  will not keep you
~Sugar