Wolfgang Puck Strawberry Souffle

By Wolfgang Puck, Tribune Media Services

Strawberry season deserves more than just a week of celebration, which is why I
started writing about it last week. If you missed that column, let me quickly

share again some important information. For your best chance at really sweet,
ripe varieties, head for the nearest farmers' market and let your eyes and

nose lead you to the deepest red, most fragrant berries. Enjoy them within a
couple of days, and keep them at cool room temperature rather than refrigerating

them, which mutes their taste. Properly sweetened with a little sugar to
heighten their natural flavor, though, strawberries take well to chilling in
many

prepared desserts. How wonderful, then, that this is the start not only of
strawberry season but also ice cream season! But I know most home cooks don't

have ice cream makers. That is why I would like to offer you one of my favorite
recipes for a frozen strawberry dessert that you don't need any special

equipment to make: my Frozen Strawberry Souffle. I say "my" because I've
fine-tuned the recipe to my own tastes and to work well for home cooks. But I

must admit that I first learned to make great frozen souffles while I worked in
the kitchen of the famous three-star restaurant Maxim's in Paris. In season,

we made frozen strawberry souffles every day, and our guests loved them. So
will yours. And don't be put off by the word "souffle," either. This recipe

isn't one of those baked souffles that make you have to tiptoe around the oven
out of fear that the mixture might deflate. It gets its name not only because,

like baked souffles, it's light and airy, the result of the beaten egg whites
and whipped cream that are the foundation of the mixture; but also because

it is frozen in and served from a big circular souffle mold, a widely available
piece of equipment you should get for your kitchen if you don't already

have one. But there's no heat involved in this souffle's preparation apart from
making a quick little syrup to beat into the egg whites. The combination

of egg whites and whipped cream also gives the frozen souffle mixture a light,
smooth consistency that freezes perfectly without any need for the constant

churning that produces ice cream's rich texture. So, elegant and impressive
though it is, the dessert is amazingly easy to prepare and turns out
beautifully.

You'll love it so much that you may be tempted to try the recipe with other
berries, too. Go ahead. It works great with raspberries, blackberries, or
boysenberries

-- any really juicy variety. So, depending on where you live, you can go on
enjoying this dessert even after strawberry season is over. FROZEN STRAWBERRY

SOUFFLE Serves 4 to 6 1-1/2 quarts ripe organic strawberries, hulled 2
cage-free egg whites 1/2 cup sugar 3 tablespoons water 1 cup heavy cream,
whipped

Grand Marnier or kirsch, for the sauce Reserve 4 to 6 whole strawberries as
garnishes. Put the rest of the berries in a food processor fitted with the

metal blade and process until pureed. Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic
wrap, and refrigerate until chilled. Put the egg whites in a mixing bowl and

beat with a hand-held electric mixer until they form soft peaks that droop when
the beaters are lifted out. Sprinkle in 2 tablespoons of the sugar and

continue beating until the egg whites form stiff, shiny peaks. Set aside. Put 6
tablespoons of the sugar and the 3 tablespoons of water in a small saucepan.

Cook over medium heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves, and then continue
cooking just until the mixture starts to bubble and begins to thicken. While

continuing to beat the egg whites, slowly pour in the hot syrup. Continue
beating until the whites have cooled. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold 1-1/2

to 2 cups of the strawberry puree into the egg whites; reserve the rest of the
puree in the refrigerator for a sauce. Then, fold in the whipped cream until

thoroughly incorporated. Taste the mixture and, if necessary, sprinkle in a
little more sugar to taste. Pour the mixture into a 5- or 6-cup souffle dish.

Cover with plastic wrap and freeze overnight. Before serving, transfer the
frozen souffle to the refrigerator to soften slightly. Meanwhile, pour the
remaining

strawberry puree through a fine-meshed sieve into another bowl. Add a little
sugar and a splash of Grand Marnier or kirsch to taste. Scoop the souffle

into individual serving dishes. Spoon the sauce around each serving and garnish
with a whole berry. Serve immediately.

(c) 2009 WOLFGANG PUCK WORLDWIDE, INC. DISTRIBUTED BY TRIBUNE MEDIA SERVICES,
INC.

~To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.
-Sugar