>From skipping through the 2001 Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras Festival
guide, here are the performances and events which include Indigenous
Australians. If I have left anything out, please let me know.

I have included the two events that B+W+P will be taking part in (Fair Day
and the Parade) as well as one non-Australian event, a ground breaking piece
from South Africa.

Garry C
Black+White+Pink
http://bwp.org.au/

SISTAJIVE WOMAN'S MUSIC FESTIVAL

This annual lesbian music festival is back for another weekend of music,
arts, workshops, crafts, healing, women's business and more music! Nurturing
new acts and promoting local talent are key: featured artists include Alix
Dobkin [USA] Kerrianne Cox [Broome] Stiff Gins, Jan Preston, Rachel Hore,
Cool Down Pop featuring Lily Dior [Sydney] and many more. Call for the full
program or visit the website. A women-only event.

WHEN: February 23-25
WHERE: Illawarra Shores Conference Centre
PRICE: from $250 [3 days in a cabin] $35 [concession Friday day pass]
INFO/BOOK: [02] 4268 3393 www.sistajive.org

THE STARS ARE SHINING BRIGHTLY

RICHARD WHERRET'S The Stars Are Brightly Shining represents a bold
reinvention of our Festival's gala event of the last few years.
Richard Wherrett directed the first Stars Come Out in 1996 and we are
delighted to welcome him back to direct this new and exciting version.
Performed by a fabulous line-up of sensational Australian talent including:
Kelley Abbey, Valerie Bader, Simon Burke, Mitchell Butel, Deborah Cheetham,
Annie Frances, Gillian Hyde, Jeannie Lewis, Leah Purcell, Justine Saunders,
Tony Sheldon, Tony Taylor and many more.
Producer: Christine Dunstan Director: Richard Wherrett Designer: Troy
Armstrong Musical Director: Elliott Wilshier Lighting Designer: Gavan Swift

WHEN: Saturday February 10
TIME: 8pm
WHERE: The State Theatre 49 Market St Sydney
PRICE:
A Reserve: $77 [full] $66 [MG memb] $61 [conc]
B Reserve: $55 [full] $44 [MG memb] 33 [conc]
BOOK: State Theatre Box Office or Ticketmaster 136 100 or
www.ticketmaster.com.au
INFO: 1902 262 588

HIS SPIRIT FLIES - SONGS AND STORIES OF DEATH AND LIFE

Australian singer/ songwriter Tim Bishop in performance with indigenous
vocal duo Soul Wun and a live four-piece band. A varied collection of songs
and stories from living through a time of AIDS that many have endured.

"Sung and spoken over one last drink, a collection of original material
connecting people, places and moments in our lives. Stay for one more hour.
One last drink over one last song. One last story before going home.
Beautiful songs, harsh realities. Life and death in splendid harmonies.
Songs to feel, words for thought . . . music to your ears." - Tim Bishop

 "Tim Bishop's simple story about love between two young men, one black, one
white, rings powerfully true . . . It's been pared down to the most sparing
and universal of tales." - James Waites Outrage November 98

This work was developed through SGLMG's Festival Development Funding Scheme

WHEN: February 15-17
TIME: 8pm
WHERE: PACT Theatre 107 Railway Pde Erskineville
PRICE: $16.50 [full] $13.20 [MG memb] $11 [conc]
BOOK: Ticketek [02] 92664822

FAIR DAY

Enjoy all the fun of our Fair on the day when we come together for
ourselves, rediscovering the richness and diversity of our queer
communities. Young, old, new, experienced, local and from afar. Will a
chicken win the dog show again? Will Miss Fair Day be a drag king? Will
celebrity dunking ever return? Browse the stalls, buy a T shirt for your
girlfriend, an earring for your boyfriend, a potplant for your sista and a
queer pride flag for your mum. Take your kids to the children's area or cool
down with a swim in the pool. Lie in the grass and listen to the
entertainment or watch the dogs strut their stuff. Check out the political
stands, tour the food stalls, refresh yourself at the bars.

Black+White+Pink will have a stall at the Fair, distributing information,
the National Council for Aboriginal Reconciliation's final documents, a
children's message stick painting activity as well as asking for signatures
on a petition to the Federal Parliament, calling for a Treaty with
Aboriginal Australia. We will need volunteers to help us out on the day -
please contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]

GETTING TO THE FAIR
There is no parking at Fair Day, so give yourself a stress-free afternoon
and leave the car at home. Walk, hail a cab or catch a bus: from Balmain
[433], Leichhardt [440], Lilyfield [470] while from Newtown any King Street
bus going towards the City [421, 422, 423, 426, 428] will be fine. From the
city, get any bus in George Street that goes down Parramatta Road [412, 413,
437, 438, 440, 461, 470, 483]. From Taylor Square and down Oxford Street
enjoy the party atmosphere of the Fair Day Special - Route 69 running
frequently to Fair Day from 10am until 2.30pm and returning from 12.30 until
6.30pm, with some buses wheelchair accessible. [Route 69 is $5/$2.50 return,
or $3 one way. All other routes standard Sydney Buses prices]

WHEN: Sunday February 18
TIME: 10.30am-5.30pm
WHERE: Victoria Park Paramatta Rd Darlington
PRICE: FREE
INFO: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PASSIONATE ACTS AT PARLIAMENT HOUSE

A passionate look at the issues of violence, discrimination, privacy and
harassment for lesbians, gays and tranys. Speakers include Winsome Matthews
[Chair of the Aboriginal Justice Advisory Council] and Chris Puplick
[President of the NSW Anti-Discrimination Board and Privacy Commissioner].
Hosted by the gorgeous Vanessa Wagner. See the new ÔActs of Passion'
education campaign, learn about your new legal rights, and take some free
materials away with you. Presented by the NSW Anti-Discrimination Board, the
Crime Prevention division of the Attorney General's Department and the NSW
Privacy Commission.

WHEN:Wednesday February 21
TIME: 7pm-9.30pm
WHERE: Parliament House Macquarie St Sydney
PRICE: Free
INFO [02] 9268 5523

RAPID FIRE

The sold-out hit of last year's Speak program returns with new names at a
new venue, featuring 11 writers from around Australia and one from New York
reading their edgiest, sharpest and most scintillating work.

Best of all, each writer is limited to six minutes - limited by force if
necessary.The star-studded line up is Nicol Beechey, Andrew Bettridge,
Sabdha Charlton, Nick Enright, Juani Dolores Iocco, Jameson King, Stephanie
Luke, Mark Matousek, Romaine Morton, Diana Simmonds, Jules Wilkinson and
Andrew Wiltshire. Readings will be signed in Auslan for hearing-impaired.  A
co-production of SGLMG and Hares & Hyenas [Melbourne].

How much stimulation can you take in 72 minutes flat out?

WHEN: Thursday March 1
TIME: 6.30pm
WHERE: The Imperial Hotel Erskineville Rd Erskineville
PRICE: $11 [full] $9 [MG memb + conc]
BOOK: Ticketek: [02] 9266 4822 www.ticketek.com.au or tickets at door
INFO: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

THE PARADE

Out there on the streets, half a million people experience the Sydney
Gay+Lesbian Mardi Gras Parade - the most stylish and entertaining civil
rights demonstration in the world. Owned by our multi-faceted communities,
the Parade celebrates our diversity and daring. Immerse yourself in the
glamour and the excitement and the comedy and sheer effrontery of our lives
on show - without compromise in a very public arena. The Parade has pushed
buttons and boundaries since the first effort in 1978 - a simple and
courageous demonstration of visibility which caused a riot and [literally]
changed our world. Essential, unmissable and extraordinary - the night of
our lives.

PARADE ROUTE
The Parade starts at the corner of Elizabeth + Liverpool Sts, goes up Oxford
St, along Flinders St, Moore Pk Rd and Driver Ave.

BE IN IT!
If you would like to participate in the Black+White+Pink 'Sweeties for a
Treaty' parade entry, please email [EMAIL PROTECTED]

VIEW IN STYLE
Picture this: an unparalleled view of the Mardi Gras Parade as you recline
on Driver Avenue in a comfy seat with your name on it. You are entertained
by Sydney's finest, with delicious food and a licensed bar within easy
reach.
Once again, The Bobby Goldsmith Foundation will provide its exclusive
'Reserved Seating' Grandstand at the Parade. All proceeds to BGF, which
provides financial assistance, supported housing and financial counselling
to people living with HIV/AIDS.
So forget about your milk crate, avoid the hurly burly of the crowds and
come and make a night of it with BGF. Tickets $90 plus booking fee. For
information check out the BGF website www.bgf.org.au. For bookings call
Ticketmaster on 136 100.

WHEN: Saturday March 3
TIME: 8pm
WHERE: See above for Parade route
PRICE: Free

AFTER NINES

(This is not an Australian Indigenous event - but it such a special
premiere, you will understand why I have included it.)

''A positive story of love, tolerance and the strength of family ties" -
Jill de Villiers The Citizen. After Nines is Soweto township slang for "in
the closet" as in s/he is only queer "after nine". Five performers bring
their own stories and the hidden history of their community to the stage in
an hour of cabaret-style, acapella musical theatre performed from the heart
by "real people".

"Relying on five bar stools, a bag of frocks and lots of gossip, the
talented young cast of After Nines recounts South Africa's gay and lesbian
history. By challenging the myth that homosexuality is a white thing, the
group reclaims a proud identity and heritage." - Matthew Krouse Mail and
Guardian. After Nines is the first all-African, all-queer cast presenting a
glimpse of black South African lesbian and gay life. An Australian premiere
for one week only.

Devised + Directed: Robert Colman
Musical Direction: Xoli Norman
Lyrics: Robert Colman
Musical Arrangements: Xoli Norman
Choreography: Somizi Mhlongo
Cast: Zodwa Shongwe, Zakhi Radebe, Wewe Ngidi, Mpumi Njinge and Paul
Mokgethi.

WHEN: February 13-17
TIME: 8.15pm
WHERE: Everest Theatre Seymour Theatre Centre cnr Cleveland St + City Rd
Chippendale
PRICE: $27.50 [full] $22 [MG memb] $16.50 [conc + February 13 preview]
BOOK: Seymour Theatre Centre:
Box Office or [02] 9351 7940 Ticketek: [02] 9266 4822