                From:   Trudy Bray [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
                Sent:   Friday, 12 January 2001 12:44
                To:     news-clip
                Subject:        HERALD SUN: Abused cricketer to get no
apology

                HERALD SUN
                Abused cricketer to get no apology
                  By REGINA TITELIUS
                  12jan01

                  A YOUNG black English cricketer who was racially abused by
a Victorian umpire has
                  been robbed of an apology.

                  The Portland and District Cricket Association has voted
not to seek an apology
                  from a Portland umpire Ken Gadsden, who is also the
association's president.

                  Instead the English batsman's club, the Portland Colts,
was ordered to apologise
                  to Mr Gadsden's family for contacting reporters.

                  Michael Carberry, 20, an all-rounder for Surrey, was
spending the season with the
                  Portland Colts.

                  He claims he was racially abused by Mr Gadsden during
Christmas Eve drinks at a
                  local pub.

                  "He started calling me `You black this' and `You black
that' and telling me to go
                  back to where I came from," he said.

                  "He grabbed me, broke my neck chain, shoved me and
racially abused me."

                  Upset by the incident, Carberry left Portland on Tuesday
for England.

                  Carberry said the incident had been sparked by an lbw
decision during a match
                  before Christmas.

                  Mr Gadsden does not deny the racial abuse claims and told
the Herald Sun this
                  week he was willing to apologise.

                  But the association voted on Wednesday night to close the
matter.

                  Mr Gadsden did not attend the meeting.

                  Association secretary Ian Lewis said it had tried to
resolve the issue but Carberry
                  had left Portland before a meeting could be arranged.

                  At Wednesday's meeting, the Colts apologised for publicly
speaking out about the
                  incident instead of trying to resolve the issue directly
with the association.

                  The association has in turn agreed to establish racial
vilification rules and
                  procedures.

                This posting is provided to the individual members of this
group without
                permission from the copyright owner for purposes  of
criticism, comment,
                scholarship and research under the "fair use" provisions of
the Federal
                copyright laws and it may not be distributed further without
permission of
                the copyright owner, except for "fair use."