if you've never heard Romaine Moreton mark this in your diaries - she's
fantastic.

paul

--

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

**** Could you pass this message on anyway to as many people you can?

On Tuesday 16 March at 6.00 pm in the State Library, Sydney, we're
holding an event to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the publication
of Simone de Beauvoir's book "The Second Sex".

The content of the evening is still being finalised but the plan is to
have a mix of polemics and poetry,  sex and song, readings and real
stories, humour and harmony.

So far we have on board - either in organising capacity or as
'prerformers': Sylvia Lawson, Eva Cox, Romaine Moreton (performance
poet), Jan Preston (the music), Julie Rigg (Radio National's  Arts
Today will be recording), Jocelynne Scutt,  Bronwyn Winter (lecturer
in French dept, Sydney Uni), Sara Madison (WEL), and others.

We're also going to screen an extract from a doco about Simone de
Beauvoir, so we'll have the author herself.

Bronwyn is going to select some extracts from the book (not too long)
and the idea at the moment is to follow uo each of the reading with a
contribution - song or poem or personal testimony or reading - or
whatever.

No one will talk or read or sing or dance for more than about  6-8
minutes.

I'm wondering if any of you would like to contribute a short statement
about what the book meant to you? We might have a section (or
sections) where a whole bunch of women on the stage give us a brief
personal testimony.

And if you can't (or don't want to) do it perhaps you could pass this
on to other women to ask them?

I can't promise that we'll be able to fit everyone in: but we would
love to have represented a wide range of ages, backgrounds,
communities, etc.
Celebs and non-celebs.
We're particularly keen to address the issue of the relevance of 'The
Second Sex' to young Australian women today.
Blokes too.

**** Could you pass this message on anyway to as many people you can?

Susan Wilson will be doing the publicity nearer the time - but I'd
love to pack out the place.

We might have to ask for a financial contribution on the night - to
pay for the refreshment and nibbles we'd like to be able to provide.

Hope to hear from you

Jane Mills