> does anyone know what's happening about the constitutional preamble? heard
> something from Lois then nothing.

Aboriginal people are not the only ones being rolled by this
Republican movement.  It looks as if there's a done deal and we'll
only get to ratify (or not) a very narrow Constitutional change.  No
alternatives to be considered.  A pity; it becomes another wasted
chance to actually make this a better country.  As Mick Dodson
pointed out again this week, governments always put indigenous issues
in the "too hard" basket.

Here's one mechanism for bringing some openness to the Republican
push.  A timetable:  first, a referendum on the question of whether
we should become a Republic.  Then, if the first question gets a Yes
vote, a referendum on the preferred mechanism for proceeding as a
Republic -- popular vote for a President, parliamentary selection of
a MajorDomo, or whatever.  (This is being profferred as the first and
only referendum question by ARM and the Government at the present
time.)  Then, and most important, a further ratification of  changes
to the Preamble which will honour the place of the people who have
been here forever in Australia.  The important thing about this
process is that all three parts should be in place from the
beginning.  None of this vague "later" business.  From the start, we
should know when the ratifications for each part will take place --
at three-month, six-month or even one-year intervals.

It really isn't urgent to put just anything in place quickly.  For
what?  To have a President open the Olympics?  As things stand now,
there's only going to be shame associated with that particular
event.  By the anniversary of Federation?  Very sentimental, but
hardly overriding.  The idea is to get it right.  Given the pace of
change in the Australian system of government, I think we all know
that it really isn't going to be revisited for a very long time.
It's essential that the question of the necessary changes to the
Preamble be given specific time and place for consideration.  "Later"
means never.

Does anyone have contact addresses for ARM (the Australian Republican
Movement, which is trying to railroad through the cheap and nasty
version of a Republic).

Sandy
Haven't devised a new Signature yet

ps -- Paul and Trudy, thanks for your tremendous work so far on the
new list..

PS, everyone who's going to the Tent Embassy to commemorate Invasion
Day tomorrow:  please take lots of photos.  Got only knows what
the Government will try next.