Hello Bruce

Yes, I recognise the importance of (and applaud) initiative which
are beyond the current view.

>As a cultural worker i seek out forms which try to avoid the known problems
>in two very different Ways coming together (such as polar opposition and
>apartheid or domination and assimilation). A partnership is a healthy
>relationship in this situation.
>
>Do you agree with that much? ...

Yes, strongly.

> ...  Has an apparently equal partnership a chance
>of success in your opinion. ...

Sadly, very little.  Still, if I am to judge from my own
experience, there is a slowly growing awareness of the history.
In the long run, that offers some promise, I think.

I also am in agreement with you when you say:

>First Peoples have to be able to have space to live according to their
>cosmologies/core cultural values - without retreating into the false
>security of separatism. The pretences required to prop up the preferred
>image of many Western people is a source of killing stress.
>
>What do First Peoples require for an equal partnership? Good question to
>put to them in their various forums. I suggest that there is a world  of
>difference between a monocultural Western definition of equality and that
>originating with First Peoples.
>
>We could talk here about the difference between superficial equality and
>deep equality.  Deep equality is a balanced relationship between two
>galaxies of values. It is unlikely to take the same form as a notion of
>equality which
>originates from one culture only. Possible i suppose, but highly unlikely.

It seems to me that our main point of contention is your advocacy
for an unequal relationship.

I even suspect that _if_ the Settler Peoples (as you call them)
could offer the senior partnership to First Peoples, that might
well open the door to a truly equal partnership.

But that, I would think, is not even a remote possibility at this
stage.

>Elder and Younger partners, First and Second partners , Original and what
>unoriginal partners? How do you retain a (to me) vital distinction which
>respects the place of First Peoples as our Brothers and Sisters in life and
>which also avoids the notion of second class citizens for people who came
>and continue to come  from overseas.

I think that's an important question.  I don't have an answer.

I agree (strongly) when you say ...

>First Peoples occupy a different place to more recent arrivals (post 1788)

And that a "disguised surrender treaty" is no basis for a
partnership.

>Rather, activate the rainbow warrior within and, calling on the very best
>of energy (cosmic; creative; practical) ask "What  really needs to be done
>to heal life in Australia?"
>
>If you feel the need to change my thinking (it is no news that i  have no
>monopoly on right answers) the challenge to you is to come up with
>something better.

I wish I could come up with something better.  Beyond the need
to keep trying, to keep espousing the truth of history, to be an
advocate for this in all our relationships, I am at a loss.

In your postscript you go on to say, in part ...

>I should add, by way of providing some context to my position, that it is
>my assessment that the monolithic Anglo-Australian state is a failed
>experiment. It is the local dimension of a wider Western allaince, with
>local managers etc. Anglo-Australia Inc.
>
>It has demonstrated repeatedly that it cannot ensure the well-being of
>Australia's First Peoples. Why subject the surviving First Peoples to yet
>another round of mistreatment?

In my view it has demonstrated that it cannot even ensure the
well-being of its supporters.  So, yes, I think it is in its
autumn years.

Those autumn years may be long drawn out, of course.  Or the
whole edifice may collapse suddenly, in crisis.  I am not
persuaded that, if that happens, any of us will be well provided
for.

>A change to the system of governance is required. ...

>But life has a logic and rhythm of its own. Hey, there is a peoples
>movement happening in Australia and elsewhere. People are moving -
>sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly.

I hear this, increasingly, and would like to believe it is true.
I _experience_ a digging in, a consolidation, of the old Anglo-
Celtic ways.

I experience a turning away from the best of the Settler Peoples
values.

>Hence the importance of a notion of deep equality which builds on the
>original good human impulse (equality) but which won't let it be captured
>(monoculturally normalised)  by the opposing forces.

Well, this is a goal worth pursuing.  I cannot imagine a way of
pursuing it at national level while John Howard manages the agenda.
Perhaps that just means we have to pursue it, face to face, in
other forums.

>Suppressed  - gee, the old regime is getting desperate in its attempts to
>hold the collapsing edifice together. I'd slap a condemned notice on it on
>the interest of public good. But politicians everywhere, once elected, are
>always happy to promote pretence rather than tell us what their experts are
>already telling them.

Yes, I suspect that sums it up well.  My fear is that history gives
us little reason to believe that the collapse will benefit anyone.

Warm regards   --  Bob
--

  |       [EMAIL PROTECTED]    Action research resources:       |