Wednesday, February 17, 1999

Tent embassy protesters spear flag

Aboriginal tent embassy protesters stabbed a spear into an
ash-covered Australian flag today as they returned to their
ceremonial fire site outside New Parliament House.

The flag was covered in ashes from the fire which police
extinguished when they moved the protesters off the site in
violent scuffles on Monday.

Tent embassy spokesman Kevin Buzzacott said the ceremonial
spearing of the flag was an attempt to kill the evil spirit of the
Government.

"I'm going to kill that spirit of that thing here with this stick from
that fire," he said. "It's travelled all the world, doing evil things,
today this one's going to go.

"They killed the spirit of the fire, the only part left is ashes, so
we're going to kill the spirit with that."

With the flag hoisted onto the spear, Mr Buzzacott called for it to
be returned to Britain.

"I want my mob to take this flag back to the Queen, back to
Britain on this stick, via Geneva [the United Nations], right
through and get out and demolish this country and pay for their
sins."

Mr Buzzacott called on Governor-General Sir William Deane to
dismiss the Howard Government.

"And charge him, and also charge the policemen who came in and
desecrated this fire and manhandled and abused our families." -
AAP