At 07:18 PM 22/2/99, Dee Elliott wrote:
>Rod,
>
>re your brawl with vic ed... are there schools in Victoria which teach
>Aboriginal dreaming or other religions apart from the Christian one(s)? My
>objection to my children receiving religious education has been not that
>Christianity's belief systems shouldn't be shared, but that other religions
>deserve equal airplay.
>
>I am particularly interested in whether and how Aboriginal dreaming is
>taught in primary schools, re our work on North Stradbroke/Minjerribah and
>policy suggestions for the school.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Dee

My own concerns are much  the same as yours.

Aboriginal religious beliefs receive some discussion in the course of
social studies style courses. Essentially Aboriginal  (and other non
christian religions) however are generally treated as things that "others"
may follow. They are the province of the "outsider" , those different
people that "we" look on from afar. My concern is with the "Christian
Religious Education" course which all state primary schools in Victoria
must offer (apparently in accordance with a turn of the century piece of
legislation). This sets it up as the "us" religion, as opposed to the ones
followed by "them".

Like you, I am of the view that other religions (in fact, other belief and
value systems generally) should receive equal time. Inevitably, given the
difficulties inherent in fitting just about anything into an already
overfull curriculum,  this would lead to a reduction in the amount
Christian Education taught.

I've only just started to look at the issue seriously over here.  Parents
can "opt out" their children from  CRE if they wish to, but , at my
daughters school this means that she and a couple of other kids in her
class essentially sit around getting bored doing their homework while the
others are actively engaged in CRE. This almost amounts, in my view, to
punishment for non-conformity.   I leave it up largely up to her whether
she decides to go to CRE or not each year, but the situation seems to me to
be quite discriminatory.

I'll keep you posted

Cheers

Rod