The Australian Breaking News:

  British campaign starts for Aboriginal land rights
  treaty
  By TREVOR MARSHALLSEA

  23mar99

  8.30am (AEDT) THE British government and public will be urged to
  advocate the settlement of a treaty between the Australian
  government and Aborigines under a new campaign which started
  today.

  A coalition of support groups for Australian indigenous people -
  including London-based Australian author Germaine Greer -
  launched an awareness drive through an advertisement in the
  Independent newspaper, and a vigil at the Australian High
  Commission.

  In a small forum at the Houses of Parliament, the group - which
  also includes British government MP Jeremy Corbyn - said it would
  attempt to publicise the subject in Britain so the government and
  public would join calls for a treaty.

  "We're not saying we have a treaty in mind, or that we want it
  rushed through," group spokesman Les Malezer, vice-chair of the
  Brisbane-based National Indigenous Working Group, said.

  "We are trying to reignite a debate about aboriginal rights,
  recognition of our rights as peoples, and recognition of our rights
  to self-determination.

  "Our lands have been taken, our peoples forcibly removed, we have
  been set to the disadvantage of living like third world peoples.

  "We have no control over our lives, we have no control over our
  families, we have no control over our futures, we have no rights of
  inheritance we can pass on to future generations.

  "That is the message we're giving."

  Mr Malezer said legal experts working with the group were also
  investigating whether the British government had any legal
  responsibilities in regard to Australia's indigenous population as the
  country's former colonial master.

  He said rallies would be organised, with speakers flown from
  Australia, to spread the message, with the aim of a treaty by 2001.

  Professor Greer told the gathering the treaty subject was "not a
  minority issue but a question of a country in terrible trouble".

  This, she said, stemmed from a knowledge by most Australians
  that they have "no right" to be in the country, and a "deep denial"
  of what their residency in Australia means for Aborigines.

  She said Australians' lack of understanding of the treaty issue was
  based on a fear they would be "kicked out of their houses and
  divorced from their rotary clothes hoists".

  Organisers said the Sydney Olympics would present an opportunity
  to publicise the treaty issue, and said their cause had been boosted
  by last week's finding by a United Nations racial discrimination
  committee that Australia's Wik native title laws were racially
  discriminatory.

  The campaign is being coordinated by the London-based European
  Network for Indigenous Australian Rights.