SMH Stay in touch column
On ya, cobber

An early draft of the John Howard-Les Murray love-in preamble has been leaked to
SIT, via e-mail and the Canberra press gallery.
Some may prefer it to the finished product. It goes (rather inevitably) like
this:
We are all Aussie blokes and sheilas, and we are all best
mates. On this soil we grow our fruit and veg and run sheeps and cows as our
fathers and our fathers' fathers also did so (note: and
before that, the Aborigines did it).
We are Aussies and we love youse all from other countries, even Kiwis, even
though we take the piss quite a lot.
We love footy, barbies and getting shitfaced on Friday night, especially on
Fridays when the footy's on the tele.
We are known far and wide as "Bronzed Aussies" because we win lots of bronze
medals at the Olympics. We are the best country ever in the
history of the universe. Boonie is a legend. Amen.