Sydney Morning Herald
April 21

from stay in touch

Cab rides: a black and white issue

Remember, it is 1999 not 1959 ... Evelyn Scott, chairwoman of the Council for
Aboriginal Reconciliation, was in Sydney last Friday waiting for a cab in Market
Street. She and her companion explained to the others in the queue that she was
running late for a plane and were told they could take the first cab to arrive.
A taxi pulled up and asked if there was anyone for the airport. Yes, said Scott,
below. Anybody else? said the cabbie. He refused to take her, in spite of her
insistence that he was obliged to by law. "I can do anything I like, I'm
finishing up in a few weeks." he said. Later, they rang the cab company to
complain, and were told a cabbie could refuse a fare if the person looked unable
to pay, or was drunk or threatening. Now Scott and her companion were sober, in
suits, and it was the middle of the afternoon. So it wasn't that. Gee, it
couldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact they were, um, not white?