Hi everyone,

Thanks to Karyn and Irene for their comments. I'll have a go at offering
some comments but I think there are many issues that arise from the emails
that require much longer discussion.

I think it is a common error among non-Aboriginal people who are dealing
with Aboriginal people to expect everything to be "warm and fuzzy". Karyn
wanted one of the elders, Kevin Buzzacott, to express positive, warm,
encouraging sentiments to her in her new discovery of Indigenous culture,
and when he didn't she took it as a negative comment.

There is a lot of deep-rooted racism in Australia, a lot of it
unidentified, and it's going to take a long time for people to come to
terms with that. Karyn, you are coming from a perspective of having very
little contact with Aboriginal people, and very little understanding of
their life experience. You should appreciate that. If Kevin Buzzacott
expressed some things that you interpreted to be negative, you should ask
why he is a little negative...or at least think about it yourself. Use your
insight.

There is understandably a level of anger in some Indigenous people about
their life situations, treatment of their families, and lack of recognition
and understanding from the wider community. Indeed, not only is there a
lack of understanding, there is often open hostility from (white) people
who have directly benefited from the oppression and exploitation of
Aboriginal people. Anger, therefore, and resentment, is a completely
natural reaction and should be understood and accepted for what it is.

I have no idea what the elder said to you, whether his comments were
actually negative, or whether essentially you did not listen sufficiently,
as Irene suggests.

But I certainly think the advice, that we should all listen and watch twice
as much as we speak, is spot on.

Regards to everyone,

Susan.

Susan Forde
School of Film, Media and Cultural Studies
Griffith University  QLD  4111

ph +61 7 3875 7229
[EMAIL PROTECTED]