Some parting remarks.

The question of identity clearly touches a nerve in all of us.

My gut feeling is that we are going through the early stages
of a longer process of rethinking/reworking our notion of
who we are and how we relate to each other and the world.

This can be expected to be very confusing, since old dogmas
will be called into question and new feelings will be searching
for some form of articulation and expression.

A suitable Australian metaphor is of the snake shedding
its old skin. People in the future who will have the fuller benefits
of this will be able to look back and say "Ah yes, that was the
time when these matters were debated, lived out, and resolved."
These latter day selves may no realise just how confusing it
was for us. That's life.

I am reading a commentary on the work of the philosopher
Hegel at the moment, and there are some striking resemblances
between what Hegel thinks is fundamantal to life - the need for
recognition - and what is happening across Australian life.

(The "Phenomenology of Spirit" seems to be a key work of Hegel
in this regard. I am yet to work my way through the issues.)

Our new sense of identity will have to be negotiated with
others, to provide them with the recognition they too require.

Life has reserved some very important matters to be
worked through in Australia. While working them through
intellectually has its place in this process, they are not
merely intellectual matters and will continue to unfold
whether we give them our attention or not.

The question in mind is whether or not that unfolding
is improved by what we say and do using this technology?

My assumption has always been that it is, although it
is easy, as Trudy says, to be misunderstood.

My guess - good will wins every time.

I am unsubscribing from the list for a while as i need to turn
my attention to some other matters.

Good luck, and may the fog of confusion give way to the light
of clarity.

Bruce