NINEMSN and AAP:
May 13, 1999

Senate to reject GST food exemptions

AAP- The Senate is set to reject a GST exemption for food, leaving the fate of
the government's tax package in the hands of the two independent senators.

Labor, the Greens, and the coalition today indicated opposition to the
Australian Democrats' proposal to exempt about 83 per cent of basic household
food purchases from a GST, limiting the tax to prepared food.

Democrats leader Meg Lees said the food amendments were among the most important
changes the party was presenting on the GST and without them, the party would
oppose the tax package.

"If these amendments are not acceptable at this point in time, and I suspect
that's where we're going today, then we will be trying still to make a number of
other changes to the package," Senator Lees said.

"But at the end of the day, if we do not recommit and pass the (food) amendments
we will not be voting for a GST."

Treasurer Peter Costello had said the government was willing to accept changes
to its tax package which did not cost billions of dollars but he remained
uninterested in the Democrats' food proposals which would cost effectively
nothing, she said.

The Democrats pointed to the practice of most industrialised countries with a
value-added tax either of exempting food or imposing a concessional tax rate.

Assistant Treasurer Rod Kemp said the fact remained that most countries imposed
a GST on food and the Democrats had adopted an inflexible and non-negotiable
position.

"I am unpersuaded by that point," he said.

"Once you move down this route you introduce a whole range of complexities and
you get a whole host of anomalies.