On 18 May 99, at 13:08, Trudy and Rod Bray  wrote about [recoznet2] First Whale:

> I have just seen a film clip on the ABC of the first Makah whale hunt (off
> the coast of Washington State) in 70 years and I am appalled at the
> suffering the whale had to put up with in the name of 'tradition'.
>
> First the traditional canoe and the harpoon. The whale took off with the
> harpoon it its body and pulled the canoe with it. Then two motorised boats
> drew up alongside it and the occupants began taking potshots with 50
> calibre rifles After several minutes of film the whale still had not been
> killed and I was sickened and had to look away.
>
> Tradition is no longer just hunting for meat in order to survive.
> Supermarkets now can take care of that. Tradition now means whaling as an
> assertion of aboriginal traditional rights and if this is the case, and no
> traditional reasons such as survival remain, then why not use modern
> methods also and minimise the suffering of the animal.
>
> In the past such suffering was not preventable but surely today the animal
> does not have to suffer so much in order to fulfill tradition?
>
> Trudy

Aha Trudy,

the conflict looms for the 21st century?

Cultural relativism vs humanism/conservation?

Still I s'pose its better than some of the conflicts of the 20th century.

In the struggle,

|\/\/\/|* Jim Duffield*     GMT+08       *[EMAIL PROTECTED]
|  o  o|
C     _)  "When the missionaries first came to Africa,
| ,____|  they had the Bible and we had the land. They
| /       said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes.
| |       When we opened them, the tables had been
          turned: We had the Bible and they had the land."

                     Bishop Desmond Tutu

********* http://www.omen.net.au/~staffy/ ****************
*    12 Hurrey Place BEECHBORO WA 6063 AUSTRALIA         *
*  Ph: 61 8 9377-7871 Fax:61 8 9377-7871 (Pls ring first)*