Trudy,
Apology accepted.  Hard to communicate clearly over the internet sometimes I
guess (both ways).

As far as Efferink's comment that

"Many Aboriginal communities would be helped by having a religion."

Well...it is a reflection on him of how uniformed his statement is, isn't
it!   (that's what I was so cranky about in my first reply to his
statement).  What does he define as religion?...That is the question...and
how can he assume that they don't have 'religion'?  And indeed, if they had
the kind of religion that he is talking about, would it really 'help' them?
(so in that sense I really see the point you were making in your last
email)....yes I can see where you were coming from.

However there may be some Aboriginal people that would actually agree with
him...but differ on what he would mean by religion (and of course the
condescending way in which he is stating it).  For instance...
Rosemary Wanganeen is an Aboriginal spiritualist in adelaide who would agree
with Efferink, but her definition of 'religion' would certainly be at odds
with his.  She strongly believes that there is a lot of what she sees as
'brokeness' in the lives and communities of Aboriginal people  because they
have gotten away from the old ways of what their ancestral spirits used to
tell them.  She believes that healing will come if Aboriginal people can
start to reconnect with their ancestors 'religion' (she would actually call
it 'spiritualism')

There could be many viewpoints on this whole issue I guess, and everyone is
entitled to their opinion.
But when a statement like that comes from a white fella about the Aboriginal
communitey...well it's bound to cause a stir!  It's very condescending no
doubt (to say the least).

Enough of the brain strain...it's been good for thought though.

Jodie Patterson.

I'd be interested to hear what others may think...if we haven't flogged the
issue too much yet.