Victorian Democrats want GST re-negotiated

AAP -- The Australian Democrats' Victorian state council last night carried a
motion by only two
votes calling on senators to reopen negotiations on the GST.

Democrats Senator for Victoria Lyn Allison said she would take the motion to the
rest of the senate
team.

"But I don't expect they would be willing to reopen negotiations just because a
bare majority of
Victorian state council members called on them to do so," Senator Allison told
AAP.

She said the meeting of 40 branch representatives was charged with emotion and
there was a lot of
argument over semantics.

She was surprised and disappointed by the motion.

"I have no doubt that the in-principle agreement that we've signed-off on is in
line with policy and
quite a lot of debate was on that point," she said.

"I'm also convinced that a lot of our members have unrealistic expectations of
what we can do with
our policy.

"Personally I can support the agreement in good conscience as it is in line with
our policy and
represents a huge advance in fairness and social justice."

She denied the outcome of the meeting posed a threat to party unity in Victoria
and said the call did
not reflect Democrat sentiment across Australia.

"It's certainly not expressed in Queensland, or Western Australia, or the ACT
and its not in line with
South Australia," she said.

"There was a motion which barely got up in New South Wales, but again that's
just a ballot."

--
Howard's GST: a "new" tax for a new millenium...