From: Chris Doran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

NORTH TAKES SHAREHOLDERS TO COURT IN BID TO STOP EXTRAORDINARY MEETING

North Ltd has initiated court action against its own shareholders in an
attempt by the company to stop an Extraordinary General Meeting questioning
its investment in the Jabiluka uranium mine project.

On 10 June, North gave less than 24 hours notice to one of its shareholders
to appear in the Victoria Supreme Court.  None of the other 121
shareholders involved were notified.  The shareholder in question refused
to participate.  It was made clear to North it would have to deal with and
inform all 122 EGM requisitionists.

"I was very upset that I was singled out," said shareholder Janette Brown.
"I thought it was very inappropriate behaviour.  The court papers were
literally dropped at my door by a courier, without even requiring a
signature.  I consider this a very unfair approach to me or any
shareholder, to be given less than 24 hours notice requiring me to appear
in the Supreme Court.  It was absolutely by chance I was at home to even
see the papers, and they easily could have gone unnoticed until well after
the long weekend."

North's court action is in regards to technicalities of the Corporations
Law.  North swore in open court at that time it would not pursue costs
against any shareholders requisitioning the meeting provided shareholders
assist in providing a nominal defendant, which would allow North to proceed
with its court challenge.  Ms Erika Ford, who holds over 3,000 shares in
the company, has agreed to serve as the nominal defendant, providing the
company guarantees in writing that neither herself nor any other
shareholder will have to pay for any costs awarded against them.  Ms Ford
is presently awaiting a reply from North.

"The question is not how much is it going to cost shareholders to hold an
EGM.  The question is how much is it going to cost North shareholders if
the company persists with the Jabiluka project," said Ms Ford.  "And that
is exactly why shareholders have requisitioned an Extraordinary General
Meeting in order to get that answer.  The company appears willing to go to
any lengths to avoid scrutiny of the Jabiluka project by its own
shareholders."

*  Since the EGM was requisitioned, another 21 shareholders with over
135,000 shares worth at least $417,000 (share price 22 June) have signed
the requisition materials, bringing the total to 143 and climbing.

* In its media release dated 10 June, North Chairman Michael Deeley
suggested it would be unfair to other North shareholders to pay the
estimated $180,000 to hold an
EGM.  He did not mention that the company has already spent an
extraordinary amount in legal fees to QC's to try to stop the meeting from
happening.

* North's media release stated "North seeks court advice on EGM".  It
neglected to mention it was taking one of its own shareholders to court.
Again, the company is providing misleading and incomplete information to
the public and its own shareholders.

* Dr Deeley also stated that "as chairman of the Annual General Meeting
scheduled for October I can guarantee a free and open discussion on all
these issues as we have in the past."  The purpose of an EGM is to address
specific issues related to the accountability of directors and the
company's constitution.  The proposed resolutions and related materials
would be distributed to all shareholders and voted on at a forum
specifically for that purpose.  This is a significantly different  process
than allowing a limited number of questions being asked from the floor at
an AGM.

* The legal proceedings are in regards to technicalities of the
Corporations Law and concern the three resolutions shareholders have put
forward to be voted on at the EGM.  One calls for an independent financial
report into how Jabiluka will effect North and shareholders' investment.
The other two relate to having Principles for Responsible Development
incorporated into the company's constitution to preclude costly mistakes
like Jabiluka from occurring again.

*  The court hearing is scheduled for the same day (12 July) that the World
Heritage Committee meets to decide whether Kakadu will be placed on the
World Heritage In Danger List as a result of Jabiluka.

"What does the company have to hide?" asked shareholder Robert Smith.  Why
not agree to an independent financial assessment?  Why engage in costly
litigation?  Could it be that Jabiluka is a total loser and never has and
never will be a viable concern?"

"North will stop at nothing to avoid scrutiny of the Jabiluka project,"
said Wilderness Society Campaigner Chris Doran.  "It will pay any amount in
QC fees to avoid a process which will force them to answer direct questions
about the project, because they know the answer is that Jabiluka is going
to cost shareholders money."

For shareholder comment:  Erika Ford 0412 070 960   Janette Brown 0419 320
088  Robert Smith 02 9985 7789 For Wilderness Society comment and EGM
materials:  Chris Doran 0417 675518