>ABC News:
>Deaf conference organisers
> confused by ban
> Saturday 24 July, 1999 (8:03am AEST)

snip

> Immigration Minister Philip Ruddock says entry to the
> country will be refused if applicants do not meet strict
> visa requirements.
>
> Mr Ruddock says Olympic tickets are not reason enough
> for a visa approval.
>
> "If we have doubts about their intentions obviously there
> could potentially be refusal of visas," he said.
>
> "Somebody will say 'well I bought a ticket' and we may
> well refuse an application from a person where we have
> doubts about their bona fides.
>
> "The fact that somebody buys a ticket doesn't give them
> an entre automatically to Australia if there are those
> concerns."

Ahh!, now if the Eora and Daruk had been free to run with a line like that
when Phillip and his motley band of convicts had arrived at Port Jackson
the issues which this continent faces today might well be rather different!

Mind you, I don't remember many of the original "us" even bothering to buy
a ticket! Invasion and fare evasion combined?

Cheers

Rod

Rod Hagen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]