My first impression is that this 'motion' has the same depth of sincerity as Howard's description of Michael Hutchins as 'a great Australian product' was an expression of condolence.
There seems to be an unseemly haste about the whole thing. Could it be that Howard realises he is running out of time before the whole world condemns his racism after the Olympics?
Is this another form of government lobbying to save its reputation?
I will reserve my judgement. I have a very uneasy feeling that something is not right and we are being duped.
Maybe it is paranoia, but then again....

Trudy

tim dunlop wrote:

 Just saw Howard deliver this motion and speech to the Parliament.  I'm very confused about the whole thing.  He seemed reasonably sincere and given what at is at stake - and given the apparent enthusiasm with which people like Lowitja O'Donahue are embracing his 'change of heart' - I feel inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt, but still can't help feel there is an emptiness in his words.  Beazley's response was sensational I thought, and he was unequivocal about the inadequacy of the motion and moved a couple of amendments.  If you can say "sincere regret" surely you are expressing sorrow; and if you are sorrowful, then surely you can say "sorry"?  His refusal to use the word 'sorry' smells rotten to me.  Anyway, here is the motion and I guess we'll see how it plays out. Tim====================FROM THE PMs OFFICE MOTION OF RECONCILIATION

That this House:

(a) reaffirms its whole-hearted commitment to the cause of reconciliation
between indigenous and non-indigenous Australians as an important national
priority for all Australians;

(b) recognising the achievements of the Australian nation, commits to work
together to strengthen the bonds that unite us, to respect and appreciate
our differences, and to build a fair and prosperous future in which we can
all share;

(c) reaffirms the central importance of practical measures leading to
practical results that address the profound economic and social disadvantage
which continues to be experienced by many indigenous Australians;

(d) recognises the importance of understanding the shared history of
indigenous and non-indigenous Australians and the need to acknowledge openly
the wrongs and injustices of Australia’s past;

(e) acknowledges that the mistreatment of many indigenous Australians over a
significant period represents the most blemished chapter in our national
history;

(f) expresses its deep and sincere regret that indigenous Australians
suffered injustices under the practices of past generations, and for the
hurt and trauma that many indigenous people continue to feel as a
consequence of those practices; and

(g) believes that we, having achieved so much as a nation, can now move
forward together for the benefit of all Australians.

"the things that will destroy us: politics without principle,
pleasure without conscience, wealth without work,
knowledge without character, science without humanity,
worship without sacrifice and business without morality."
---Mahatma Gandhi