passing this on - please reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
i have answered the questions, but if you want to respond also, just cut and
paste the questions
cheers susanne
Year 12 Aboriginal Studies PAS Major Research Assignment
My name is Marco Ranauro and as part of the successful completion of my year 12
PAS Aboriginal Studies course I'm required to complete a Major Research
Assignment.  My Assignment is focusing on the draft document for reconciliation
between Aboriginals and non-Aboriginals which was created by the Council of
Aboriginal Reconciliation.  This survey is a part of my assignment so the
completion of it is much appreciated.

1.      What do you know about the Draft Document for Reconciliation?  If you
know nothing why do you think this is so?

I know about the document because i am connected to the internet and subscribe
to lists that circulate this sort of information - without email, i would be
less informed - i know people who are uninformed yet they read newspapers,
watch tv etc - If people don't know about the document which has turned into a
movement, then the government is remiss in its unbiased public ed programmes

2.      What is your understanding of the word Reconciliation?

reconciliation my definition: (check the dictionary for the differences if a
hyphen is added)
re-conciliation is a federally funded assimilationist platform, hopefully
subverted by locally devised and enacted policy and process, involving an
exchange of human understanding, resulting in mutual and individual healing, in
preparation for a mutually thriving co-existence
reconciliation is a healing process between citizens, not a political process
for governments to subvert into national documents that attempts to bind
indigenous peoples to 'british' law and custom, instead of the choice of their
own sovereign laws and traditions

3.      Why do we need a document for Reconciliation?

we don't - politicians are desperate to appear 'reconciled' with our indigenous
citizens because very soon there will be global eyes on Oz - also the
government wants to appease CERD which is complaining about the government's
ongoing genocidal practices - the colonial war is still going
we need a sovereignty movement - where all peoples, young and old are sovereign
selves who determine their own lives through choice - this document represents
late 90's assimilationist practices by individuals who are predators upon
theignorance, trust or powerlessness of many australian people

4.      Do you believe Australia needs a National Reconciliation document to
help aid reconciliation?  Why/Why not.

No - because the document is not about healing or co-existence - it is about
assimilation and more of this we don't need - it has already cost indigenous
peoples and migrants their language, culture and customs - not to mention their
lives for 7 generations so far

5.      Please circle what sources have given you information about the draft
document?
TV/film Newspaper radio news/Current affairs other

internet and some tv but manily protest meetings and speeches at rallies etc

6.      Explain what relevance this document has for:
a)  yourself

none, other than to hopefully alert 'our' citizens to the genocidal practices
that many of 'our' population practice - but i fear that it will influence
uncritical ozians as it is the only platform funded

b)  An Aboriginal person

you cannot reduce indigenous australia to one group - there are 66 countries in
NSW alone - homogeneity has been debunked now for decades and its failings are
well documented - everyone is different so no group usually speaks for all of
its members as consensus is a rare commodity indeed - only seen it once myself
with a group of 300 - this goes for political parties, groups, families,
schools, classes etc
compare aden ridgway and isabell coe - both indigenous - but one is a
recognised and paid politician and one is not
- why is this so - both are doing the same thing - isabell comes from the
aboriginal tent embassy and aden from the democrats - but isabell is not given
the credibility that aden enjoys - the reason is the crux of the problem - one
system is privileged - the coloniser's system
- the debate could almost be reduced to the arguments of these two people with
additions to cover some other points not yet raised

c)  The Australian Society

it is clear that those citizens who support assimilation are publicly backing
the document
however it is equally clear that many indigenous australians and many non
indigenous australians do not support reconciliation as a political process and
certainly not as something that needs to be 'signed by anyone' - in fact,
tomorrow 1/9/99 an historic federal court case will be heard in sydney - the
'issue' - whether genocide is admissable under 'our' common law - in this
situation isabell and aden become opponents because the government will not
admit to genocidal practices - hopefully after tomorrow, the government will
finally become accountable

i believe that the reconciliation movement sweeping the country, are those
people who in a referendum vote to do the right thing by indigenous ozians  - i
can only hope that 'we' subvert this movement into a sovereignty movement -
once and for all and for us all

cheers
susanne martain