ABC

Darwin prison launches website for inmates

 The World Today - Friday, September3, 199912:53

 COMPERE: Well, what's believed to be the world's first
 prison website has been launched in the Northern Territory.
 It features the arts and music of the inmates. The site, like
 any other site, can be accessed by anyone around the world
 on the Internet, and you'll be able to respond to prisoners
 via email.

 As David Weber in Darwin reports for us, prisoners are
 going to use the site to tell their stories and warn against
 drug and alcohol abuse.

 DAVID WEBER: The Groote Band will be one of the prison
 bands providing music to the website. More than 150 mostly
 Aboriginal male and female prisoners are involved in the
 Ending Offending project which has been transferred to the
 website as a tool for education and communication. It's
 intended to raise prisoners' self-esteem and educate them
 about the dangers of alcohol abuse. It will also advertise art
 and music produced by prisoners, with profits from sales
 going into community-based projects.

 Tony from Jaberoo has been working on his art for the two
 years he's been in prison. He hopes it'll lead to a better
 future outside. Tony sees the website as a way to expose
 his art and tell his story to those outside, so that others
 won't make the mistakes he did.

 TONY: I don't want to be, come back in and out [inaudible] .
 I don't want it anymore. I like to want to get out, just want to
 get a job.

 DAVID WEBER: Simeon is in the Groote Band and has
 been committed to writing and performing his songs while in
 prison over the past four years. He writes his own material,
 mainly about his home, Groote Island. Simeon says the
 website's an opportunity for his band to get some
 recognition and exposure.

 SIMEON: I like to get people, get recognised. Not many
 Aboriginal men get recognised, you know, playing the
 comedian [phonetic] all that.

 DAVID WEBER: Darwin Prison Superintendent, Rod
 Williams, says the website's also an educational resource
 for prisoners, as it allows them to transmit their feelings
 about alcohol and drugs and the trouble abuse can lead to.

 ROD WILLIAMS: Aimed at addressing prisoners' behaviour,
 alcohol consumption in the community. It was never
 designed as an abstinence program. It was designed as a
 program to show prisoners how they could drink in a social
 context without committing offences and returning to jail.

 DAVID WEBER: Superintendent Williams says the project's
 been well received. It gives prisoners something to take
 outside when they leave and teaches them things such as
 how to handle royalties from art sales. But, those wanting to
 send emails to prisoners will have them screened by
 authorities.

 Superintendent Williams says prisoners won't be allowed to
 access and respond themselves because it could lead to a
 security breach.

 ROD WILLIAMS: Vetted through our internal security and
 head office security. The email side is directed at head
 office, and the interaction will be through the head office
 website and they'll pass on all the information to us and we'll
 adjust the website here, and it's a two-way process; then we
 send it back to head office and the Internet's updated there.

 DAVID WEBER: The Correctional Services Minister, Chris
 Lugg, says the website will be featured at the coming
 Institute of Criminology Conference as a leading example of
 rehabilitation programs for indigenous people. He says,
 despite the Territory's mandatory sentencing laws, the
 government doesn't actually like people going to prison.

 CHRIS LUGG: The community never benefits from having
 people in prison. It's a necessary but generally a step we
 don't prefer to take.

 DAVID WEBER: But, he says with the total cost of the
 website project at fifty thousand dollars, it's less than the
 cost of keeping one person in jail for a year.

 CHRIS LUGG: If we can even keep one or two fellas from
 coming back here, then it's money well spent.

 COMPERE: And that was Chris Lugg of the Northern
 Territory.

© 1999 Australian Broadcasting Corporation