media release

DEATHS IN CUSTODY WATCH COMMITTEE (WA) Inc.
119 MATHIESON RD         ASCOT WA 6104
Tel:  61(0)8 9277-1533
Mobile:  041993-0375
Fax:  61(0)8 9478-4204
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        Tuesday 14 September 1999

Shackled in Death and 3rd World Hygiene In WA Prisons

"Tell us news not history" exclaimed Ms Kath Mallott of the
Deaths In Custody Watch Committee, when asked to comment on
claims made by the Director of Prison Health Services in Western
Australia that there are poor standards of hygiene in the
Infirmary at Casuarina Prison."

"We have been asserting for years that WA Prison Medical Services
are horrific."  Said Ms Mallott.

"It is tragic that a prisoner has to die in shackles in the
Intensive Care Unit at Royal Perth Hospital, and the Director of
Prison Health Services proclaims, in the Coroner's Court last
week, that the Casuarina Prison Infirmary is 'a pig sty', before
the media takes up the plight of prisoners' health needs in this
State."

"The Royal Commission into Aboriginal Deaths in Custody
investigated the use of 'mechanical restraints' by this State in
two prison deaths in 1983, and Commissioner O'Dea noted that the
United Nations Standard Minimum Rule 33 required that;"

'chains and irons shall not be used as restraints and 'may be
used only against escape during transfer.  Such instruments of
restraint may not be applied for longer than is strictly
necessary.'

"Sixteen years later nothing has changed and seriously ill
prisoners in this State continue to die whilst shackled to a
hospital bed.  It is barbaric."  Said Ms Mallott.

"We call upon, all thinking people, especially medical and
nursing staff and their professional bodies, to examine their
codes of ethics and conduct, and to demand that prisoners under
medical and nursing care do not die in such circumstances, ever
again."

"Further, we reiterate our demand that the Australian Medical
Association's (AMA) 'Position Statement on Health Care for
Prisoners' be given the status it deserves and particularly point
2.1 which states:"

'Every correctional facility health care service in Australian
States and territories should be part of the general health
system and independent of Departments of Corrective Services or
their equivalent.'

"We call for this to be implemented without delay."  She
concluded.

Media Contact:  Kath Mallott    08 9277-1533    041993-0375

Deaths In Custody Watch Committee (WA) Inc)
119 Mathieson Road, REDCLIFFE, Western Australia,  6104

"The beginning of the cause of deaths in custody does not occur within the
confines of police and prison cells or in the minds of the victims.
Initially it starts in the minds of those who allow it to happen."
Elder Dr. Jack Davis (OA, MBE)

* [EMAIL PROTECTED]                 http://www.omen.net.au/~dicwc *