For those concerned about biotechnology especially where it affects our food.
--- Trudy
*******************
It will cost $42 for non-members and $30 for members of the National Press Club
to attend (if in Canberra) and should be televised from 1pm to 2pm tomorrow on
the ABC.

***************************
‘Tech-challenges. gov. au’

Senator Natasha Stott Despoja on legislative challenges of new technologies

Australian Democrat’s Deputy Leader, Senator Stott Despoja, will present a
National Press Club Telstra Address on Wednesday, 22 September.

In her third press club appearance, Senator Stott Despoja’s address is titled
Legislative Challenges of New Technologies.

This year she has seen her Democrat Senate colleagues pass the Howard-Lees
G.S.T. package and has decline overtures within the Democrats to stand for the
Leadership -participating instead in a new era in her Party’s development.

Senator Stott Despoja will address the National Press Club from the Democrats
‘constructive engagement’ position that they embrace as they rise to the
challenges of their new balance of power role in the Senate.

Legislative challenges including the rapid growth of new-age technologies, such
as I.T. and biotechnology (just two that face legislators globally) requiring
adequate and credible legislative frameworks for their responsible management.
Senator Stott Despoja will explore these issues and the role of the Democrats in
the new Senate.

“Information technology and biological advances are two examples of the ability
of new knowledge to challenge today’s norms. Both are currently redefining the
international political space - though how is still yet to be determined.

“Legislation and international legal instruments must play and active role to
ensure that innovation is implemented to the communities benefit.  Human
cloning, genetically modified organisms and electronic commerce are some of the
big issues.  We can not throw our hands up at transnationalism and just say ‘too
hard’ ” stated Senator Stott Despoja.

Lunch will be served at midday with Senator Stott Despoja to speak at 1pm.

Contact : Frank Crews, General Manager
  National Press Club
     02-6273 3644