Consultations on the National Document of Reconciliation for the Gay,
Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Communities

Date :         Tuesday 2nd November 1999

Venue :      The Settlement, Edward Street Chippendale
                    (Gregory's Map Reference 18 k5)
                    closest station Redfern

Time :         6.30pm to 9.30pm

Have your say on the national document of reconciliation!

The Council for Aboriginal Reconciliation is developing document of
reconciliation that consists of an inspiring declaration that should be
formally adopted by Commonwealth, State and Territory governments. This will
be underpinned by principles and national strategies with commitments to
promote reconciliation. A majority of people consulted by Council believe
that an agreement  would improve relations between Indigenous Australians
and the wider community.

Council wants to involve as many people as possible, both Indigenous and the
wider community in deciding on the document and making commitments, and will
conduct extensive consultations from July to December 1999. As part of this
consultaion process Black + White + Pink is working with the Council to
organise a forum for GLBTQ people and organisations to express our views and
to map out the steps we must take as we work together towards a reconciled
nation. You can read the statement of support for Aboriginal Reconciliation
from Sydney Gay & Lesbian community organisations at the Queers for
Reconciliation site. http://reconciliation.queer.org.au

The Evening will be hosted by the effervescent Vanessa Wager who will guide
us through the maze of opinion concerning Reconciliation and to further help
us understand the twists and turns, Senator Aden Ridgeway will give the
keynote address.

Following the speakers will be the opportunity to have your say on the Draft
Document of Reconciliation and the Strategies for Implementation of the
Draft Document of Reconciliation.  To achieve this we will be breaking into
small groups for 45 minutes with each group being facilitated by members of
the gay and lesbian community addressing two distinct themes :

     The Content and Wording of the Draft Document of Reconciliation
     The four key National Strategies as well as discussing local community
based strategies

Following the small group work will be a feedback session where each group
will report on the discussions that took place and document the findings
ready to present to the National Council for Aboriginal Reconciliation.

If  you wish to receive a Reconciliation Kit  (developed by the National
Council for Aboriginal Reconciliation) which sets out all the issues and
provides a guide to the consultation process and register for the Workshop,
please contact us through the following methods.   We hope to have most
people RSVP by contacting us (as this will give us an idea of numbers)
however feel free to turn up on the night and bring your friends and family.

Alternatively, information regarding the Draft Document of Reconciliation
and the Implementation of the National Strategies, please go to the Council
for Aboriginal Reconciliation's website at
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/orgs/car/docrec/index.htm

Please remember to leave your name and address and postcode and we will post
you a kit.

Email :    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Look forward to seeing you there.

Black + White + Pink Organising Committee