Forwarded from France. Best regards. Bernard Blanc.
Subject:
         [DOEWatch] Dolphins Turtles and Dynamite SOS ! (Environment)
   Date:
         Wed, 27 Oct 1999 12:49:20 PDT
  From:
         "anthony cummins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
     To:
         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "anthony cummins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Dolphins Turtles and Dynamite SOS
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 05:58:35 PDT
Hi.
I was sent this e mail and checked it out, its true, so I'm forwarding
it on
to the list for further distibution, thanks,

Tonz.

Sir,

I wish to draw your attention to the continuing practice of fishing by
the
use
of dynamite, which is killing dolphins, turtles, and other creatures,
and
harming the marine environment.

The main area where this is still occurring is  in the San Bernadino
Strait
off
the island of Samar in the Philippines.

This  practice drew media attention some years ago but the lack of
recent
publicity may have made many people believe that it has ceased.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

As it has now become inextricably linked to big business there is
pressure
keep using dynamite for fishing, and this  pressure can only be
countered by
even greater pressure to stop it.

You are probably aware of the harm that this causes, which includes the
death of
many animals, vast numbers of fish which are killed but do not float to
the
surface, or die subsequently.
Additionally there is substantial harm to the local environment.
It should also be noted that many of the fishermen are injured or killed
as
well.

A very interesting Internet site containing details on this activity and
other
background information is:-

http://geocities.com/RainForest/Jungle/5835/dolphins.html

I would ask you to draw the attention of your members to this unpleasant
and
harmful activity in order that greater publicity may be given and
additional
pressure exerted on the Philippine Government to halt the use of
dynamite
for
fishing.

Yours faithfully