Of course, we're looking forward to hearing from the participants!

Trudy

National
9:47 am AEST March 5 2000

Mardi gras embraces reconciliation, protests tampon tax

AAP -- Sydney's Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras parade embraced two political
themes last night, with the
message to the federal government being unmistakeable.

The first called for reconciliation between black and white Australia.
The second opposed levying the
GST on tampons.

In an event that began as a protest, evolved into a party and then
became the world's biggest street
parade, the edge was still there, despite the corporate backing and
officials with ear-pieces.

Around 500,000 people braved overcast skies and crammed Sydney's Oxford
Street for the Mardi
Gras last night.

As spectators stood on their now-traditional milk crate perches, flesh
and exotic costumes went on
display early.

The procession of Dykes on Bikes, some in leathers, some wearing very
little, and at least two dressed
as Bananas in Pyjamas' B1 and B2, heralded the start of the world's
biggest gay and lesbian event.

The crowd roared its approval when a float calling for reconciliation
between white Australia and
Aboriginal and Torres Strait islanders passed down Oxford Street.

In an overt political message, reinforced by the applause from half a
million pairs of hands, banners
proclaimed "Reconciliation Now" and "End Mandatory Sentencing".

Aboriginal and Torres Strait islanders, their bodies painted with
traditional decorations, led a group of
people several hundred strong calling for a revised attitude from the
federal government.

They were followed by the Asian Marching Boys, who in turn preceded
another group with a sharp
political message for Prime Minister John Howard.

The Bloody Marys were dressed as tampons and waved banners proclaiming
their opposition to the
levying the GST on female sanitary products.

Now in its 23rd year, the Mardi Gras has become the only street parade
in the world to rival Carnivale
in Rio and the New Orleans Jazz Festival for crowd pulling power.

Some 1,400 marshals were on hand to ensure the parade progressed
smoothly, although the stresses
began to tell as the parade wore on.

People from all walks of life had come to see one of the world's great
spectator events.

Six-year-old Xenia Goodwin had taken up her position on the corner of
Oxford and Palmer Streets at
2.30pm this afternoon.

"I came to see Mogadonna," she said.

She was unfazed by spectators clad in everything from jeans and T-shirts
to performers in g-strings
and thigh high boots.

An assistant area co-ordinator for the Mardi Gras, Liz Dods, estimated
the crowd an hour before the
parade kicked off was just under half a million strong.

"But it is building - building quite quickly", Ms Dods said.

"It's started building up a little later this year."

The crowd continued to build after the parade began.

And although the first floats did not begin rolling down Oxford Street
until almost 45 minutes after they
were scheduled, spectators generally remained cheery.

However, people attempting to cross through barriers and other secure
areas caused officials the
usual headaches.

At least two participants took a swipe at recent statements by religious
authorities opposing the Mardi
Gras.

One dressed as a Pope and another as a Protestant Archbishop.

They waved a banner proclaiming: "God Loves Men In Drag".

But there was a serious side to an event characterised by feather boas,
marching boys and S&M
leather-wear.

For the parents of gay offspring, the march was about acknowleding
people they'd seen grow up, often
ostracised, considered "different".

One of them, Alby Olver, marched bearing a photograph of his son,
Darren, who died of AIDS in 1994.

"I march every year," Mr Olver said.

"I told him I would march as long as I have legs on my body ... I told
him I would march until I die," he
said.

Among celebrities who participated in the parade were gay icon Molly
Meldrum and deputy federal
Australian Democrats leader Natasha Stott Despoja.

Other participants took a swipe at John Laws as they wheeled shopping
baskets along Oxford Street
asking for donations in a send-up of the cash-for-comment affair.

Ambulance personnel treated at least two parade participants, and plenty
of cut feet from broken
bottles among spectators.

Police said later there were no major incidents, with few arrests even
for minor offences.

--
Make the Hunger Site your homepage!