Magistrate criticises mandatory sentencing

Source: AAP | Published: Thursday March 9, 2:32 PM

A magistrate working under the Northern Territory's mandatory sentencing
regime has publicly criticised aspects of the
controversial laws.

Magistrate Alasdair McGregor today said with courts no longer having
discretion in sentencing for certain crimes,
police were being forced to take responsibility for dispensing mercy
instead of the government.

But he also admitted he may have been too lenient in sentencing property
offenders before the laws were introduced
in 1997.

Under the NT's mandatory sentencing laws courts must impose set jail
terms, laid out by the government, for property
crimes.

The Country Liberal Party (CLP) introduced mandatory sentencing in
response to home burglaries in suburban
Darwin.

Federal Parliament is now being urged to overturn mandatory sentencing
and a Senate report on the laws in Western
Australia and the NT is due for release on Monday.

Yesterday NT chief minister Denis Burke released an independent poll,
excluding the Northern Territory, which
showed that nearly 60 per cent of Australians approved of mandatory
sentencing.

Mr McGregor admitted that he may have been too lenient on people who had
vandalised homes.

'I know the feeling is strong against ransacking, I know the feeling is
strong against 'take a dozen eggs out of the
fridge and put them through the kitchen fan',' he said.

'I have seen all that in court, perhaps I wasn't tough enough on it.'

However, he said he did not see those cases in Katherine.

Mr McGregor said jail was harshly impacting on communities outside
Darwin, such as in the town of Katherine 314
kilometres south where he has worked for the past four years.

'These young men are coming back (from jail) terribly well-built,
terribly well-fed and in some cases terrorising old-age
pensioners,' he said.

Elders in Aboriginal communities were keen to impose their own
punishments on their children, he said.

He suggested the government should look at paying for compensation to
the victim, rather than spending money on
punishment.

'Of course they (victims) want punishment but they'd also like their
money back,' he said.

Mr McGregor said the NT government had given the police a role in
judicial considerations which it should be taking
on itself.

He said the laws prevented the courts from considering mercy - as
required in the NT law - when handing down a
sentence andclaimed the government should have taken on that
responsibility.

However, the police responsible for charging the suspected criminal had
ended up with the role, he said.

'Quite clearly, the police are having to do what traditionally the home
secretary, the chief minister and the like would
be doing after they have been to court,' he told ABC local radio.

'Parliament has clearly felt that the courts were not exercising the
combination of justice and mercy correctly but hasn't
made very much provision for any one else exercising mercy.'

Mr McGregor also revealed he had been angered by Mr Burke's claim last
month, since retracted, that the justice
system was totally corrupt.

'I heard the Attorney-General say that over my breakfast and I was a
little bit angry when I went to work that day, but I'll
say no more about that,' he said.

Mr Burke, who is also Attorney-General, was forced to apologise for the
claim when chief justice Brien Martin
threatened to stand down over the comments.

--
Make the Hunger Site your homepage!