The Canberra Times
Letters
Friday, March 10, 2000

Blick report on Aboriginal bodies

 I AM WRITING to express my disappointment with your journalist's
 unprofessional approach and factually wrong article "Herron used
 security chief to probe black groups'' (March 9, p.3). The Blick report

 resulted from concerns brought to my attention by both ATSIC and the
 Registrar of Aboriginal Corporations regarding each other's conduct in
 relation to the appointment, by the registrar, of administrators to
 various Aboriginal corporations. As the minister responsible for the
 effective operation of both agencies, I appointed Mr Bill Blick to
 conduct an inquiry into the relationship between ATSIC and the
 registrar's office. Mr Blick did not inquire into the affairs or
actions of
 Aboriginal corporations or "black groups'' as wrongly claimed by your
 journalist. The report's recommendations reflect this limited focus. Mr

 Blick did not conduct this inquiry in his capacity as Inspector-General

 of Intelligence and Security, as implied by your journalist. He was
 appointed because he was independent of any of the parties involved,
 he had the necessary skills to conduct an investigation, and had
 previously been Deputy Secretary responsible for indigenous issues
 within the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet. Had your
 journalist bothered to seek a response from my office, her false
 assertions would have been corrected. It is also false for The
 Canberra Times to claim that I refused to discuss the Blick report's
 contents. Your journalist did not even seek a comment from me on this
 issue. To make matters worse, she did not seek comment from the
 registrar. Instead she published comments from the Labor Party and
 did not seek to balance the article by giving me the opportunity to
 respond.

 (Senator) JOHN HERRON
 Minister for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs

 [Editor's Note: Aban Contractor contacted the minister's office several

 times before the article was published seeking a copy of the Blick
 report and comments on her understanding of what the report
 contained. She was told initially that it was not a public document,
later
 that a copy could not be found and later again that the department
 had been asked for a copy. A copy was delivered yesterday, after
 publication of the article. It confirms, as the article stated, that
the
 report contained an extensive list of recommendations by the
 Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security, Bill Blick, ''about how

 ATSIC and the Registrar of Aboriginal Corporations should deal with
 each other''.]

--
Make the Hunger Site your homepage!