What is so wrong with serving the 14 days?

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of karyn fearnside
Sent: Thursday, 16 March 2000 4:06 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [recoznet2] Interesting idea!

Here is a copy of the letter I just sent in to The Canberra Times:

In Mondays C.T. (March 13 editorial page) I spotted Pryors apt image, much
appreciated, Mr Pryor.
On the opposite page, on the far right, I was disgusted to see a Northern
Territory advert addressed to the Senate in Canberra, showing the facts on
Mandatory Sentencing. What a bunch of bollocks! If they want to show me
facts, I want to know how many people are incarcerated under Mandatory
Sentencing laws right now, what sex they are, how old they are and if they
are Indigenous or non-indigenous. NT give me some real facts!
Further reading shows that adult first time property offenders will be
sentenced for a minimum of 14 days. I can only suggest that we all go
sraight to the NT and commit a property offence. NT will then provide 14
days of accomodation and with a bit of luck their jails will be swamped and
their stupid inappropriate Mandatory Sentencing laws abolished.

Karyn Fearnside
NB It was the same pryor cartoon that Trudy put on the list.
This posting is provided to the individual members of this group without
permission from the
copyright owner for purposes  of criticism, comment, scholarship and
research under the "fair
use" provisions of the Federal copyright laws and it may not be distributed
further without

RecOzNet2 is archived for members @
http://www.mail-archive.com/recoznet2%40paradigm4.com.au/