ABC News
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 23:03 AEDT
Liberal rules out crossing
floor on sentencing

A key Federal Liberal MP, Brendan Nelson, has
ruled out crossing the floor to overturn mandatory
sentencing laws for juveniles.

Brendan Nelson is one of several MPs who
strongly oppose mandatory sentencing, who
combined could help pass legislation to override
laws in the Northern Territory and Western
Australia.

The Government has so far scuttled or gagged
debate on a Senate bill and two private members'
bills to overturn the laws.

The Independent MP, Peter Andren, says he will
introduce another bill next month to override laws
in the Northern Territory.

But Dr Nelson has made it clear he will not defy
the government.

"I have been unsuccessful in persuading the
majority of my colleagues to support my position,"
he said.

"If I or any of my colleagues were on every issue
that comes before us simply to go and do what we
think is the right thing to do, ignoring the views of
other people whose views have as much
legitimacy as my own, then this country would
essentially be ungovernable."

© 1999 Australian Broadcasting Corporation
--
Make the Hunger Site your homepage!