tdunlop wrote:

>My only point was really to address the question of how we

> know we are right about something, but maybe that wasn't clear.  To that
> extent Nelson's comments were interesting, even if they apparently duped
> people like me.

I wasn't implying you were duped. People who care and take things seriously do look at
the complications
when they are presented to them. This indicates that they are concerned, not stupid.
My point was that he played on that and used it.

> I'm just interested in how people get their certainties
> and why uncertainty is so often interpretted as weakness.

Maybe you think it is interpreted as weakness. ;-) I haven't noticed that anyone here
thinks it is.

> I meant it as a
> general observation and directed at no-one in particular.  Maybe it's this
> sort of thing Peter McGrath had in mind when he criticised us for being too
> narrow-minded?

I don't think so, Tim. He was talking about how we treated each other not pollies
whose track record
condemns them.

Trudy