Forwarded from Christine Howes:

Friday 17/3/00 : ATSIC Media Release

Protecting children from the foolishness of adults

News that there won't be any government support for a private member's
bill
exempting children from the Northern Territory's mandatory sentencing
regime
is a cause for despair in Aboriginal communities, according to an ATSIC
Commissioner from Central Australia.

"Protecting children from the foolishness of adults should be the
overriding
concern for the members of any government," the Commissioner for ATSIC's
NT
(Central) Zone, Alison Anderson, said today.

"Exempting children is the least action any politician should take.

"No argument about respecting territory rights can justify a lack of
action
to protect a regime that does not deliver justice in its treatment of
juveniles."

Commissioner Anderson, from Papunya, said lack of government initiative
on
mandatory sentencing issues meant that reconciliation is dead in the
water.

"What do we have to reconcile with if laws like this are allowed to
continue
in the NT and Western Australia?" she asked.

"We look to the government to ensure that justice is uniformly applied
across this country.  Now the message is that different laws apply to
different people, depending on where you live.

"If that's going to continue, I'd like to see federal support for a move
towards incorporating traditional indigenous law into the legislative
framework so Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people can begin
administering our own justice.

"I'm also disappointed that individual members of the government parties
who
oppose mandatory sentencing apparently have allowed themselves to be
persuaded not to cross the floor.

"Not only can we not count on the government, we can't count on the
consciences of individuals to save our children.

"When consciences mean nothing,  it's hard to see that we can make any
progress to overcoming the gap between black and white Australia."