Hi all,

Perhaps we need to re-focus our efforts upon 'reconciliation' instead of
one individuals boringly tabloid opinions. There are a host of issues that
we could be discussing and even organising activities around.

**I propose the Arabunna Going Home camp this weekend in Northern SA.
Those interested go to www.come.to/lakeeyre
(below is a breif description of the history of the Keepers of Lake Eyre,
an alliance of environmental and Indigenous activists.)

**Perhaps others know of unrepresnted struggles or Indigenous events that
need support.

**Does anyone know what's happening with the Yorta Yorta appeal?

**Also has anyone got any idea how many Indigenous Australians actually
have access to the internet?????

** Has anyone rung or written to any of the Northern Territory tourism
industries?  Boycott the Territory until their ridiculous law is removed.
Boycotts, they will tell you, will hurt Indigenous businesses but Mandatory
Sentencing will hurt them more! They might say "You'll never, never know,
if you never never go!" But I say "We'll never, ever go until these laws
are gone!"

I hope someone can help me with my questions and offer some insight into
the aformentioned issues?

The ARABUNNA STRUGGLE.
The Arabunna, of the Oodnadatta region and situated along the western shore
of Nothern Lake Eyre in South Australia have taken to the internet with
their call for solidarity.  Perhaps some of the first contact Arabunna had
with with European culture and economy was via explorers like J McD Stuart.
 Such exploration was closely  followed by camel drivers, herds of cattle,
railway development and the telegraph line.  (Horton, D. Vol 1 1994:54)
The Arabunna people and culture persist today and with the support of the
Keepers of Lake Eyre (KOLE) are making their voice heard on the World Wide
Web.

Arabunna and other Indigenous folk of the 'Eyre' region met early
pastoralist colonialism with a 'fierce resistance.' (Horton, 1994:352)
Later these folk were integral to the pastoral industry however when
pastoral economies became less profitable the jobs gradually dried up.  Due
to growing unemployment and complaints from local towns people many of the
Aboriginal people from this region were shipped off to foreign places as
far as eatsern QLD and throughout NSW.  Many remained close to their
traditional lands and reside in Port August and Adelaide.

Elder, (Uncle) Kevin Buzzacott has called all Arabunna to return home to
their traditonal lands and oppose the further destruction of their land and
therefore heritage and cultural autonomy.   Those that want to learn about
his country and its history have also come to Lake Eyre and the Arabunna
Camp in support of the areas traditonal custodians.  KOLE support both the
maintenance and regeneration ('unkeep') of Arabunna culture and knowledge
as well as protection of Arabunna land, traditonal 'Law' and people.

KOLE had their first gathering in January of 1999, in Adelaide, South
Australia with the intention of supporting Kevin's going home camp due to
begin on March 26th, the same day as the official opening of Western Mining
Corporations (WMC) Olympic Dam Expansion Project.  The camp lasted 9 months
before it was diamantled by WMC with the assistance of local police.  The
Arabunna continue to resist the developments of WMC upon their traditional
lands.

The camp is set to be rebuilt this year March 26th.  All are welcome.
Contact KOLE for more information.