With all the work and hype aound the Reconciliation Float in the Sydney Gay
and Lesbian Mardi Gras, I have not had much time to post some info about the
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Gay, Lesbian and
Transgender/sistergirl community parade entry, Our Country Our Queen.

Given the current less-than-royal visit, the timing is now appropriate!

Francine, David, Kooncha, Chris and all the Our Country Our Queen
participants deserve congratulations for the success of this very public
statement of diversity within the Aboriginal and Torres Stait Islander
community. (Did you see Francine and Chris on ch10?)

This is a article which appeared in the press two days before the parade,
the accompanying photo and some other pics from the OCOQ float are online
at:
http://www.bwp.org.au/ocoq.htm

Garry C
Black+White+Pink
http://www.bwp.org.au/

>From Sydney Star Observer, 2 March 2000

We're on parade
Jill Jones

...One of the first floats up Oxford street, just behind the lead float,
will be Our Country Our Queen, an initiative of the Aboriginal and Torres
Strait Islander gay, lesbian, transgender and sistergirl community sponsored
by ACON, the Department of Aboriginal Affairs, the Aboriginal Medical
Service, Deadly Vibe, Sydney Institute of Technology's Eora Centre, and the
National Aboriginal and Islander Skills Development Association.

And fronting the float is a true queen, J'onelle Francine, who will be
wearing a jewelled crown and carrying a waratah sceptre. "I am the elder of
that community," she told Sydney Star Observer. Francine, as she is usually
known, came out in the early 1950s. "I think I was the first Indigenous
person to come out in that era."

Francine, who left Queensland for Sydney, recalls her first visit to a gay
bar, in The Rex at Kings Cross. "I remember walking in. There was a buzz
with everyone talking, then it went quiet. All heads turned and I turned
around too wondering who they were looking at. But it was me. It was the
first time they'd seen an Aboriginal walk in. "

Now 65 and identifying as transgender, Francine said she remembers how in
earlier firmes there was a lot more togetherness and support in
the gay community. "We were all going through the same thing. And we still
have an uphill battle. That's why the gay community has to stick together as
one group - there should be no in-fighting."

One of the float's organisers, Chris from ACON, said the message of this
float is "visibility". "We want to say, 'Yes, there are Aboriginal gays and
lesbians, and transgenders.' We are reclaiming sexual ownership of
ourselves. In the past there's been a lot of sexual exploitation. But we can
say 'no' to that sort of stuff."

The float will include dancers who have adapted some traditional moves from
both Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander dances.

According to another participant Sani, "we have mellowed it down to some
more contemporary moves". They will be using music by Yothu Yindi, Christine
Anu and Rita Mills and will also be carrying banners and signs in different
Aboriginal languages.

The group expects over 100 marchers but wants even more, both from
indigenous and white communities.Tanya Plibersek, Federal ALP
Member for Sydney, has announced she has accepted an invitation to match
along with the group.