Fewer Aborigines face jail, Ruddock tells UN

Date: 24/03/00

By SIMON MANN, Herald Correspondent in Geneva

The Immigration Minister, Mr Ruddock, was not convinced by the United
Nations that mandatory sentencing would increase the jailing
of indigenous Australians.

He said Aborigines were less represented in property offences than some
other sectors of the community and the burden of proof in
cases that carried a mandatory jail sentence would be greater than in
other criminal proceedings.

"It is not unreasonable to assume that mandatory sentencing will
probably lead to Aboriginals being less represented in incarceration
than
they would have otherwise been," he said.

But in Canberra yesterday, the Attorney-General, Mr Williams,
contradicted Mr Ruddock.

Asked whether mandatory sentencing hurt Aborigines in particular, Mr
Williams said: "Well the fact is - and it's widely documented - that
the indigenous people are overrepresented proportionately in the
criminal justice system, and on that basis the impact on them is
proportionately greater."

Facing a second day of grilling by the Geneva-based Committee on the
Elimination of Racial Discrimination, Mr Ruddock said Australia's
Federal system made it difficult for Canberra to trample the States over
mandatory sentencing.

"I'm not offering to defend it because my Prime Minister has said he
personally does not favour mandatory sentencing."

Committee members have been questioning Mr Ruddock and senior Australian
officials on a range of indigenous issues including native
title amendments, the "stolen generation" and inequalities in housing,
education and health.

The 18-member committee has combined an "urgent" investigation of
Australia with the presentation of the Federal Government's
routine two-yearly report on efforts to combat racial discrimination.

Last year, the committee put Australia "on notice" because of concerns
that Canberra was breaching its international treaty obligations on
human rights.

This meant that Australia was the first Western signatory to the
convention to be called before the committee to explain itself. The
blemish has bracketed Australia with countries such as Algeria, Bosnia,
Rwanda and Yugoslavia.

Mr Ruddock declined an invitation from one of the committee members,
Egypt's Mr Mahmoud Aboul-Nasr, to apologise for
past injustices to Aborigines.

Instead, he outlined measures taken by the Government to acknowledge the
"hurt and trauma" of past practices.

Later, Mrs Gay McDougall, the Washington-based human rights lawyer who
monitors Australia on behalf of the committee, took issue
with Mr Ruddock on the difficulties facing legislators in a federalist
system.

"The issue of States' rights has been a perpetual issue in my country,"
she told him. "It's one we fought a bloody civil war over ... over
whether States were free to engage in the abhorrent practice of
slavery."

Mr Ruddock interjected: "I think I would have fought for that, too."

Mrs McDougall replied: "Yes, I would hope that you would have been on
the same side as me."

This material is subject to copyright and any unauthorised use, copying
or mirroring is prohibited.