Sandy,

I agree. A wonderful read. Also a model for the fragmentary research
required for coming to grips with the history of minority, and subjugated
groups. Due to the nature of recorded history being so WASP orientated the
only records are often fragments of opinions and descriptions of events in
the writings of traditional historians. This is no more apparent than in a
lot of women's history, especially indigenous groups.

At the time I met Diane Bell in the Territory her daughters were fairly
young. I remember her telling me at one stage that, as an anthropologist
studying the lives of Aboriginal women, that they were her best asset. The
women accepted her as a mother of these children and at a certain stage in
life. Without these children she would have been judged at a much lower
stage of development and thus only told what women of that stage should
know.

In the book in one passage she outlines how she gained some of the words of
a song from an old acetate disk in which the song was sung in the background
of some celebration. The disk is from the ABC archive.

For me it is an important work, not only for the information contained
therein, but the methodology used in the research.

Ian Henderson                Murdoch University
24 Harfleur Place            Murdoch 6150
Hamilton Hill                   Tel: 61 8 94183972
Western Australia 6163   E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
'Freedom is having nothing left to fear.'