I got this letter from a friend and I thought I'd better forward it to you
all. It concerns the oppression of women in Afghanistan.

jim duffield

> Subj:    Please Read...
> Date:   03/17/2000 10:28:55 AM Pacific Standard Time
> From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Shahryar)
>
> Dear Friends:
>
> Please do not ignore this email.  This is something that we as
> human beings need to support - I don't know if this is going to help
> but take 3 minutes out of your life to do your part.
>
> Madhu, the government of Afghanistan, is waging a war upon
> women. Since the Taliban took power in 1996, women have had to wear burqua
> and have been beaten and stoned in public for not having the proper attire,
> even if this means simply not having the mesh covering in front of their
> eyes.  One woman was beaten to death by an angry mob of fundamentalists for
> accidentally exposing her arm while she was driving.  Another was stoned to
> death for trying to leave the country with a man that was not a relative.
> Women are not allowed to work or even go out in public without a male
> relative; professional women such as professors, translators, doctors,
> lawyers, artists and writers have been forced from their jobs and stuffed
> into their homes.
>
> Homes where a woman is present must have their windows painted
> so that she can never be seen by outsiders. They must wear silent shoes
> so that they are never heard.  Women live in fear of their lives for the
> slightest  misbehavior.  Because they cannot work, those without male
> relatives or  husbands are either starving to death or begging on the
> street,
> even if they hold Ph.D.s. Depression is becoming so widespread that it
> has reached emergency levels. There is no way in such an extreme
> Islamic society to know the suicide rate with certainty, but relief workers
> are
> estimating that the suicide rate among women, who cannot find proper
> medication and treatment for severe depression and would rather take their
> lives than live in such conditions, has increased significantly. There are
> almost no medical facilities available for women. At one of the rare
> hospitals for women, a reporter found still, nearly lifeless bodies lying
> motionlesson top of beds, wrapped in their burqua, unwilling to speak, eat,
> or do anything, but slowly wasting away. Others have gone mad and were
> seen crouched in corners, perpetually rocking or crying, most of them
> in fear.
>
> One doctor is considering, when what little medication that is
> left finally runs out, leaving these women in front of thepresident's
> residence as a
> form of protest. It is at the point where the term "human rights
> violations" has become an understatement. Husbands have the
> power of life and death over their women relatives, especially their
> wives, but an angry mob has just as much right to stone or beat a woman,
> often
> to death, for exposing an inch of flesh or offending them in the slightest
> [...]

PLEASE COPY this email on to a new message, sign the bottom
and forward it to everyone on your distribution lists.

If you receive this list with more than 300 names on it, please e-mail a
copy of it to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  Even if you decide not to sign, please be
considerate and do not kill the petition.  Thank you!