I am forwarding this message since it bounced and got lost in the system. I hope
this is not to late for anyone able to help.

Trudy

Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 14:57:29 +1100
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (by way of Sarah Peckham
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)
Subject: Visit by Canadian Inuit Students

Dear Recozneters,

You might be able to help me on this one. I am writing from the Canadian
High Commission in Canberra. We have a group of 19 Canadian Inuit students
who are
planning to visit Australia in early May, 2000.

The students are from Nunavut, the new political territory that was created
in northern Canada on April 1, 1999. They are between the ages of 18-22 and
are enrolled in a special eight-month college program called Nunavut
Sivuniksavut (NOO-na-voot  See-voo-NEEK-sa-voot, which
means "Nunavut is our future.") They are studying Inuit history, Inuit
organizations and contemporary political issues, as well as the details of
their 1994 land claims agreement which gave rise to the Nunavut territory.

The students are interested in sharing the Nunavut story with Aboriginal
peoples in Australia, and to learn about Aboriginal history, cultures, and
land rights struggles. They are also keen to participate in cross-cultural
exchanges - they are able to demonstrate traditional
Inuit songs, drumming, throat singing, Inuit games, language, and
traditional clothing.

Their interest is in meeting with Aboriginal political organizations,
cultural and performing arts groups, students of all ages, Aboriginal media,
as well as government officials and the general public. We are
interested in meeting people at the local, regional and national level.

The students hope to be in Australia between April 28 and May 13, 2000. We
therefore, want to send back any suggestions about the  most cost-effective
destinations that these students would be able to visitAboriginal people in
their traditional territories. Also, any groups they could (and should)
meet, (along with contact names), and recommendations about locations to
visit.

Any input you can provide will be MUCH, MUCH appreciated.

Best wishes.
Joyce Barrett
Manager
Canadian Education Centre