Here is the letter I sent to many of the papers on the list.

Trudy
*******************************

April 3, 2000

It is sadly ironic that this Prime Minister who refuses to entertain any
flexibility in drug trials because of  the 'message it would send', is
himself  now sending a message to the world, and our nation's youth,
that far overshadows any trial drug treatments.

John Howard's message is that it is OK to go back on your word if
keeping it proves inconvenient. International treaties you promised to
uphold can be broken if you want to continue to abuse human rights
within your own borders. You can attack your critics and betray
Australia's good name if racist politics proves advantageous to your own
well-being.

Maybe we should have mandatory jailing for politicians whose quest for
power causes wilful damage to Australia and its people. After all, a
broken window or the theft of some biscuits pales to insignificance
beside the wreckage of human lives that racism is still leaving in its
wake.

Trudy Bray