Dear Recoznet2 members,

I have been "lurking" on the list for several years, and during that
time have moved from Australia back to Canada, my home. The
similarities between issues concerning the rights of Aboriginal
people in Canada and Australia are striking -- and often
frightening -- as when governments in both nations refuse to comply
with UN recomendations.

I write the list now to personally request your support for an urgent
campaign demanding an inquiry into the death of Dudley George, an unarmed Aboriginal
man, Dudley George, was shot and
killed by police during a peaceful land rights protest for the Stoney Point People
 (Aazhoodena Nishnaabegat) in 1995.  Until now, despite years of
activism to demand,  a public inquiry has not been called.
Recently, however, a UN Committee Committee on Human Rights expressed
grave concern about the incident and strongly urged Canada to
establish a public inquiry.

I write to request your support by writing (simply forwarding the
letter below) to the Prime Minister of Canada. We feel that
international pressure is essential at this point in the
campaign.
Please forward the LETTER BELOW to him at [EMAIL PROTECTED] The
letter can be adjusted and personalised if you wish, or sent as is.
*** Please also Cc to Minister for Indian Affairs at
[EMAIL PROTECTED], and to the Coalition for a Public Inquiry into
the Death of Dudley George at [EMAIL PROTECTED] Please don't
forget to "sign" it and include a return address.

There is also more detailed background information and updates on the
campaign at http://www.web.net/~inquiry/action.htm

 I thank you personally for your support in this
urgent and important matter.
 In solidarity,
Dr. Eva Mackey

LETTER