Hi,
                 Yes.  I should add a correction - I spoke of the Burke government's new laws, whereas this article deals with a particularly worrying legal report intended to justify new laws of dispossession.  A bit of a difference.....

         Cheers,
         Matthew Davis

tassy wrote:

                Graham,
                             How sporting of you.  Your website has several good articles on the process of Reconciliation I notice.  The article from Ian Viner QC on the Northern Territory's new land laws is particularly interesting to me.  The new Burke government's laws were apparently based on the ruling in the Gove Pensiula case in the early 1970's which so set-back the movement for land rights in Australia.

             The URL for that article was:

            http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/July99/Whither_Rights.htm

             To me, Denis Burke is part of the movement on the extreme-right of Australian neo-liberalism/conservatism.  He is in fact a very violent man, and one wonders what agenda he has for Aboriginal Australians in his territory that differs from the assimilationism that is an all-too familar part of Australia's undemocratic and racist past.

            Henry Reynolds did notice that race relations in the Northern part of Australia are considerably more complicated than in the more prosperous south.  The atmosphere, according to his recollection of his Townsville experience in "Why Weren't We Told", was more violent, and racism more commonplace in jokes at pubs, etc..  Perhaps that's why we see such regressive politicians from that part of the world.

         It was a very informative experience, and I thank you very much for it.

        Cheers,
        Matthew Davis

Graham Young wrote:

The Web Address for the potted biography is http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/graham.htm  Edi tor