PM apologises over Stolen Generations document

The Prime Minister has issued an apology to anyone offended by the Government's submission to a Senate inquiry which asserted there was no generation of stolen Aboriginal children.

John Howard says some reaction to the document, including by those who were removed from their families, has been understandable while other reaction has been despicable.

MULTIMEDIA

He says the Government submission was not designed with "malign intent".

"Let me say very directly to anybody in the Australian community, who was in any way offended by that document, I am sorry about that because the document was not designed to offend anybody," he said.

"The document was designed in good faith by the Minister and those who assisted him in preparing it," Mr Howard said.

The Aboriginal Affairs Minister, John Herron, mirrored Mr Howard's apology.

"I understand the feelings of the people in the gallery and to anyone else that may be offended by the statement that I put to the constitutional and legal affairs committee. It was not my intent to do so."

Earlier members of the Stolen Generations had disrupted question time in the Senate.

Several women watching proceedings in the gallery began shouting at Aboriginal Affairs Minister John Herron as he was answering a question about the term Stolen Generations.

Security staff moved towards the women as the Speaker called for order, but did not remove them from the chamber.

Plea

Earlier in the day members of the Stolen Generations gathered outside Parliament House in Canberra to deliver an impassioned plea for recognition by the Federal Government.

The Aboriginal people say reconciliation cannot proceed until they receive an apology.

Around 80 people gathered in Canberra to express their anger at the Government's submission to a Senate inquiry, which denied there had been a generation of stolen children.

"To me reconciliation has gone back 20 years. Why have they done this to us, we haven't done them any wrong? We grew up, didn't even know who our families were," said one protester.

Democrats Senator Aden Ridgeway and Opposition leader Kim Beazley offered their support.

"You are the Stolen Generations and this is about your story and no one should take that away," Senator Ridgeway said.

"We're here dealing with some of the most damaged, traumatised people in Australian society," said Mr Beazley.

Reparation

Members of the Stolen Generations have accused the Federal Government of setting up its $63 million reparation program to fail.

Revelations that most the money is still unspent have caused bitter recriminations.

Aboriginal Affairs Minister John Herron has accused the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission (ATSIC) - the peak Indigenous organisation - of delays in spending the money set aside for the Stolen Generations.

ATSIC received $11 million for family reunions, although the largest share, worth $39 million, went to the Federal Health Department for mental health services.

But Maurie Ryan from the Northern Territory Stolen Generations Corporation says it is hard to find any services on the ground.

He says part of the problem has been the lack of a proper monitoring system, for which he blames the Federal Government.

© 2000 Australian Broadcasting Corporation