ABC TV The 7:30 Report
Transcript
7/04/00
Clarke and Dawe -- John
Howard

KERRY O'BRIEN: Before we go, satirists John
Clarke and Bryan Dawe with their view of the
week in politics. (John Clarke plays Mr Howard,
Bryan Dawe plays the interviewer.)

INTERVIEWER: Mr Howard, thanks for your time.

JOHN HOWARD: Good evening, very good to be
with you.

INTERVIEWER: Mr Howard, how many policies do
you have on Aboriginal affairs?

JOHN HOWARD: Yes, in town, or in the bush?

INTERVIEWER: Well, in the town first.

JOHN HOWARD: In the city, or in the regional
centres?

INTERVIEWER: Well, in the cities.

JOHN HOWARD: In an election year or just
normally?

INTERVIEWER: Well, all the time.

JOHN HOWARD: An all-the-time,
work-for-all-cases Aboriginal policy?

INTERVIEWER: Yes.

JOHN HOWARD: Don't understand your
question.

INTERVIEWER: Well, OK, let me put it this way...
can you explain our policy on mandatory
sentencing to me in terms of the criticism we're
now getting from the UN on the question of
human rights?

JOHN HOWARD: Yes, I can. We support the UN
charter on human rights, but we are opposed to
the UN charter on human rights.

INTERVIEWER: Hang on, Mr Howard, you can't
say that... it doesn't make sense.

JOHN HOWARD: Doesn't it? How come? Why?

INTERVIEWER: You just said, "We support the
UN charter on human rights, "but we're opposed
to the UN charter on human rights."

JOHN HOWARD: I see... can't be on both sides.

INTERVIEWER: No, of course not... it doesn't
make sense, does it? Do you want to go again?

JOHN HOWARD: Just thank me for my time
again.

INTERVIEWER: OK. Mr Howard, thank you for
your time.

JOHN HOWARD: Good evening, Bryan.

INTERVIEWER: Mr Howard, I wonder if you could
explain our policy on mandatory sentencing to
me in terms of the criticism we're now getting
from the UN on the question of human rights?

JOHN HOWARD: Very good question, Bryan. We
support the UN's right to go in and secure the
rights of the East Timorese people, but we don't
give a toss about the rights of the Australian
Aboriginal people.

INTERVIEWER: Hang on, Mr Howard, I'm sorry...
I'm not being very clear here. You're saying that
the UN can criticise Indonesia because of the
terrible treatment of the Timorese...

JOHN HOWARD: Vital role, Bryan, vital role.

INTERVIEWER: ...but the UN has no right to
criticise Australia over the treatment of the
Aboriginal people?

JOHN HOWARD: Where would they get that right
from, Bryan? Surely we run our country.

INTERVIEWER: Mr Howard, that's not right.

JOHN HOWARD: I mean, I've got it written down.
Here it is. Sorry about that. Can you just thank
me for my time again?

INTERVIEWER: Mr Howard, thanks for your time.

JOHN HOWARD: Yes, good on you, Bryan.

INTERVIEWER: Mr Howard, I wonder if you could
explain our policy on mandatory sentencing to
me in terms of the criticism we're now getting
from the UN on the question of human rights?

JOHN HOWARD: Yes, I can, Bryan. We, the
Australian Government, are dedicated to
improving the condition of the Aboriginal people
of this country by failing to meet the minimum
requirement of the UN as laid down in the
charter which we helped write.

INTERVIEWER: Hang on, that's not going to
work, is it?

JOHN HOWARD: It doesn't sound right, does it?

INTERVIEWER: It's very complicated.

JOHN HOWARD: Here it is. Sorry, here it is. The
condition of the Australian Aboriginal people,
Bryan, is SO good, so good is it, that the world
community has called upon us to stop being one
of the worst governments on record.

INTERVIEWER: Sorry, Mr Howard, we might be
better off talking about something else.

JOHN HOWARD: Here we go, sorry. Here we go,
sorry. Here it is. It's got a circle around it.

INTERVIEWER: Mr Howard, thank you very much
for your time.

JOHN HOWARD: We've got the question, Bryan.
I refuse to apologise to the Australian Aboriginal
people, because what can I do, I'm only the PM
of the entire country.

INTERVIEWER: I'm sorry, Mr Howard, it might be
better if we talk about something else.

JOHN HOWARD: Maybe it's on a different... Here
it is. Here it is. I'm terribly sorry. Just thank me
for my time again.

INTERVIEWER: Mr Howard, thanks for your time.

JOHN HOWARD: Good evening, Bryan.

INTERVIEWER: I wonder if you could explain our
policy on mandatory sentencing to me in terms
of the criticism we're now getting from the UN on
the question of human rights?

JOHN HOWARD: Yes... shut up.

© Roderick Willows Pty Ltd

 email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

© 2000 Australian Broadcasting Corporation