The Sydney Morning Herald
Letters: Walking together is just the start

Date: 30/05/2000

My nine-year-old daughter wore a badge on our march on Sunday that cried
"Walking together!" I felt that this slogan captured the
feeling of immense goodwill among the crowd which turned out on that
historic day.

Yet the cool, crisp, sunny, self-congratulatory gloss that this day
provided for us paled uncomfortably and pointedly when a member of
our indigenous community co-opted the stage at a very enjoyable, slick,
feel-good post-march performance. She was distressed,
disturbed and immensely disturbing. I could feel myself and the crowd
shift uncomfortably as the fabulous MC struggled to "civilly"
regain the agenda.

Our "interloper" cried: "You have all done a wonderful thing today. You
walked across the bridge! But will you walk the distance with
me? Can you walk the distance with me?" And she marched her distress,
damage, pain and defiance across the stage.

Yes, this is the post-march/Reconciliation Day question. Just as her
personal horror and pain will not go away, our national history and
pain will not go away. We can only learn to acknowledge, accept and live
with it. Only then can we truly walk together.

Jacqui Leonard, Avalon.

Yesterday as we were on the bridge, in the crush of thousands of
walkers, a man who was setting up his subjects stepped back suddenly
with his camera and we collided. He quickly turned to me with a friendly
touch, and we both said "sorry!" He was an Aborigine. We
laughed together, and then pointed to the skywriting.

Margeri Mather, Woollahra.

The sobriquet Little Johnny is of no account regarding John Howard's
stature, but it is pertinent when one considers his obvious
limitations of intellect, philosophy and spirituality.

Perhaps the Canberra people were grateful that John Howard sacrificed
his usual sojourn at Kirribilli (with a fine view of the bridge), to
spend a rare weekend at our nation's capital, watching an entertaining
game of rugby.

However, 250,000 of my fellow Australians (many more marched in rural
towns and cities), both black and white, irrespective of sex,
age, race or religion, shamed in the eyes of the world by the attitudes
of the Coalition Government, were forced to the streets to clearly
demonstrate their desire to say sorry to the indigenous people of
Australia. It is now too late for John Howard, but it is not too late to
say
sorry.

Lyn Gunn, Taree.

Following the magnificent march for reconciliation over the Harbour
Bridge on Sunday, John Howard and John Herron will no doubt do
their maths and decide that 250,000 people represents less than 10 per
cent of the population, so it does not qualify as a mandate. The
rest of us know better.

Richard Keyes, Enfield.

Could the headlines this morning have been "Three million Sydneysiders
didn't march for reconciliation"? The less demonstrative
majority maybe?

John Valder, Bayview.

We are told that up to 250,000 took part in yesterday's march for
reconciliation. That sounds like a good turnout. But before the number
could have any real significance at all one would also have to know what
percentages of Sydney's other 4.5 million:

a) supported the march but couldn't make it;

b) were opposed to the whole idea;

c) couldn't care less.

And it's not hard to understand John Howard's reluctance to apologise on
behalf of the Australian nation. He knows that, once the
apology is official, the rush to the High Court for compensation will
make Sunday's march look like a Sunday school picnic at Wilcannia.

Geoff Whiteman, Laurieton.

As a participant in the reconciliation walk on Sunday, I want to pay
tribute to all the volunteer helpers and special tribute to the NSW
police.

Despite having to stand for long periods in freezing winds, all the
police men and women I saw were smiling and extremely friendly to all.

The police band provided entertainment and the mounted police added
colour and the opportunity for many children to pat the horses.

Commander Adams (Herald, May 29) rightly gives credit to the people, but
the Police Service set a great example. They're a credit to
NSW. Thanks guys.

Bob Mackay, Collaroy.

John Howard, you are not responsible for the actions of previous
administrations or society's handling in decades past of the so-called
stolen generation. You do not need to apologise. It was not your fault,
nor is it the fault of the Australians you represent today.

Kate McDonell, Chatswood.

For us it was a case of a bridge too far, but we walked in spirit. The
Olympic torch passes here today, a public holiday and one of
celebration for indigenous and expatriates alike. There is no reason for
apology or reconciliation. Wouldn't that be nice for the arrival of
the torch in Sydney?

Anne and Ian Heydon, Port Vila (Vanuatu).

Today, I walked across the Harbour Bridge to say sorry to the
Aborigines. I felt ashamed that the Aborigines who owned this land for
at
least 40,000 years had it taken away from them without any treaty or
reconciliation.

It would be like someone went to your house and said it was their house
and drove you out with guns, and they did it to all of Forestville,
all of Sydney, and all of Australia, and then they made their own laws
in which you had no rights to your house and land. Where would
we live then?

I learned from a friend that the Maoris in New Zealand were treated much
more respectfully. They were given a treaty and land that
allowed their culture to live. My friend said that the Maori language is
taught in all schools in New Zealand.

Now, more than 200 years later, our Prime Minister doesn't even want to
say he is sorry. Maybe he is scared that if he says sorry they
will put him in a pot and eat him.

But I don't think so.

Jenny Howard (nine years old), Forestville.

Prime Minister! You are out of step with your nation.

Richard Lynch, Redfern.

As I walked across the bridge today, I couldn't help thinking the land
itself had sent that strong cold westerly wind to blow the colonial
cobwebs from our minds and invigorate our stride for reconciliation.

Peter Fyfe, Lavender Bay.

The Macquarie's definition of corroboree includes "warlike character ...
a disturbance, an uproar" and so it seemed, prefaced by the
turning of backs to the Prime Minister. How, in the midst of his
address, could the audience be sure that John Howard was not to deliver
the abracadabra they so seek.

Where was the tolerance in that action? And don't tell me that this is
just the Aboriginal way; it is a body language recognised universally
as a slur.

This divisive and confrontational approach changed my plan to walk the
bridge in a spirit of hope for all humanity.

Cynthia Cato, Mosman.

No national apology, yet a nation apologises.

Elizabeth Lee, Hurstville.

I support my Prime Minister.

Stephen Benedek, Northbridge.

When the inaugural chairman of the Council for Aboriginal
Reconciliation, Pat Dodson, mentioned in his keynote speech on Saturday
that a "radio shock-jock was sacked for saying Aborigines wouldn't
work", he was clearly referring to me.

First, the Australian Bureau of Statistics says 16 per cent of
Aborigines are unemployed, which, conversely, must mean that 84 per cent
are employed. Well, I don't believe it, and anyone who observes
Aborigines from Redfern to Wilcannia will dispute those numbers right
along with me.

Second, the Prime Minister has a very good commercial reason for not
saying sorry. When the Canadian Government apologised to the
Inuit, land claims exploded 100-fold.

Third, I'm in favour of Aboriginal land rights - but only if they live
on the land, and don't on-sell or lease it for large sums for mining or
farming. Truth is, Aborigines don't want to live on the land at all -
they just want to live off it.

And there needs to be a definition of just what constitutes an
Aborigine. I'd say at least one full blood grandparent would do.

But the most vocal members of the "sorry industry" - people like Ray
Martin, for instance - are whiter than I am yet still claim Aboriginal
rights and a heritage.

As for the statistics of Aboriginal health, they don't look after
themselves, and of course you're going to die young if you don't take
care
of yourself.

Some of the misinformation being spread about leaves the reconciliation
debate in a very sorry state.

Ron Casey, Mosman.

It was the extraordinary ordinariness of it all that I found most
moving. All of us - old, young, politicians, celebrities - made equal by
an
issue larger than us all.

I feel inspired and heartened by the basic goodness of my fellow
Australians.

I now believe that the Prime Minister's foolish intransigence no longer
diminishes us as a nation; it diminishes him.

Anne Garvan, Allawah.

It is just as well the Prime Minister decided not to walk across the
bridge on Sunday, as he would have encountered a few thousand
"mainstream" Australians walking in the opposite direction.

Congratulations, Australia. A leap forward in the right direction.

Michael Hambly, Redfern.