The Sydney Morning Herald
10/05/2000
Letters (extract)
Hard land

Why is it that a small and relatively poor country such as Ireland does
not lock up its refugees, almost never deports them against their
will and provides them with free housing and income support? While a
relatively rich, large (and almost empty) country such as Australia
"can't spare a square"?

P.S. Wasn't it lucky they evacuated Woomera before those vicious women
and children could wreak havoc in our civilised community.
These enemies of people such as Saddam Hussein must be sent back to
receive their just punishment!

D. Rogers, Moruya.

It seems that our Woomera detainees have learnt something during their
time in Australia. Aren't they behaving just like a group of
red-blooded Aussies who have been locked up for months by slow-acting,
unsympathetic bureaucrats?

Peter Spencer, Oatlands.