and the media's view...

50,000 march for Aboriginal reconciliation in Adelaide

Source: AAP | Published: Monday June 12, 4:36 PM

Tens of thousands of people marched in Adelaide today in a mass display
of support for Aboriginal reconciliation.

On a perfect, cloudless day, many wore red, black and yellow and carried
banners and Aboriginal flags as they marched over the King
William Street bridge, crossing the River Torrens to Elder Park in the
city.

Police estimated 50,000 people took part in the event, organised by
Australians for Reconciliation.

South Australian Committee for Reconciliation co-chair Shirley Peisley,
who was made an AM (Member in the Order of Australia) in
today's Queen's Birthday honours list for service to the indigenous
community, said the crowd was bigger than expected.

'This is a great, great day to see so many people come out to walk for
reconciliation,' Mrs Peisley said.

'You have surpassed our expectations ... thank you very much for being
here with us and showing how you feel about the things that
need to be changed in this state and in this country to make this state
a better place for all of us.'

The march was originally scheduled to coincide with the massive
reconciliation walk across the Sydney Harbour Bridge, attended by
250,000 people in May.

But storms forced the Adelaide event to be postponed.

Representing the SA government, Aboriginal Affairs Minister Dorothy Kotz
was jeered as she addressed the gathering.

'Bitterness and anger and frustration have all come out of past
injustices,' Ms Kotz said.

'This is now the time to move forward and make sure that in friendship,
and united, we all move towards positive measures for the journey of
healing and
therefore to true reconciliation in this state of South Australia and
across our nation.'

SA Opposition Leader Mike Rann received a rousing reception as he
criticised the federal government for failing to apologise for past
injustices against
Aborigines.

'It's not a saying sorry about personal responsibility, it's about us as
community leaders who have inherited those positions and institutions
and must, and
should, say sorry,' Mr Rann said.

Reverend Ken Sumner, of the Uniting Church, told the gathering today's
walk was also about native title.

'This walk is just not about reconciliation; reconciliation involves
many things and part of that is native title,' he said.

'Without our land, we will die, and that's something that you really and
truly need to understand.

'There's a little group of us that gathers together on the first Friday
of each month and we walk around Government House with our candles.

'We are disappointed in the way that this government is dealing with
reconciliation, the way that it's dealing with native title.

'And so we gather up here on the corner and we walk because we're
disappointed.

'But we need you, we need you to be with us. As you've walked today ...
you've shown this country and the leaders of this country what you want
- you want
reconciliation and it's a beautiful thing.'